The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Wed May 25, 2011 12:32 am

Brilliant concept, decent execution, but strange selection I think. Ricky Gervais mainly is incredibly out of place and lame as expected. Seinfeld's sort of a m.c. for the whole thing and pretty competent, Rock holds his own and CK basically steals the show, again, as I expected. It's not exactly hilarious all the way through, but just like how I saw Chappelle recently, it's incredibly worthwhile for the insight and the stories. Makes me dying to see CK live even more.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Wed May 25, 2011 3:18 am

listening to as much of this as I can. But a comedian you may not have heard about that is worth checking out is Marc Maron. I saw him perform in SF sometime last year and he was great.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Wed May 25, 2011 3:49 am

Marc Maron's been around for a long time. I've seen his Comedy Central Presents and they were mediocre, but he's one of those classic, revered comedian's comedians, definitely. So I'm sure you would have to see him live to get the goods out of him.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Wed May 25, 2011 4:04 am

I had never heard of him before I saw him. I haven't seen him outside of that and a couple youtube videos. He was good when I saw him and some of the youtube bits are pretty funny as well
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Sun May 29, 2011 11:07 am

I really enjoyed it, but I agree that the pairing was a bit off. Gervais is funny, but he's not really a stand-up comedian in the same sense as the others (as he accurately points out himself).

However, I don't see the fact that it's not all that funny as a drawback. It's supposed to be a discussion about comedy, not necessarily comedy. And as such, it definitely works.

I'd have loved to have gotten rid of Gervais in favor of someone like Patton Oswalt or Robin Williams, but it was definitely an interesting show.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 pm

I must say that I think it was a good group. Gervais is extremely charismatic and is leading the conversation in interesting places quite a bit. Also, it was his idea to do it, so of course he'll be in it.

Of course, Louis CK is amazing as always. He's my favorite comedian by far, and him and Gervais have a great chemistry. I saw him live last October, and it was fucking awesome. Even though I religiously watch everything of his I can find, as he is always writing new material it was still a good 1.5 hours of material I had never heard before.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Mon May 30, 2011 1:57 am

Rick Gervais is pretty funny, not that I expect you to like anything good, just saying.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Mon May 30, 2011 2:08 am

He's actually not funny worth a shit and you're only chiming in to be a disagreeable dick which is your life's purpose, not that I expect you to do anything different, just saying.

Ok, here's the real deal about Gervais in this special, as well as him in most other things I've seen him in (stand-up, mostly): he doesn't say anything particularly insightful or articulate anything in an interesting way to me, his laugh is too present and so god damn loud and annoying, and he's just plain not funny. That's the biggest bottom line: he doesn't make me laugh or think and he's annoying to listen to. Pretty god damn good reasons not to like a person, I'd say. The Office sucks major fucking dick, as well (both his version as well as the U.S. one, so I'm not just picking sides, either).

Conveniently enough, I liked him a lot in Louie as Louie's friend/doctor lol, but I'm also content with attributing most of that positive credit right on down the line to Louis CK himself. Still found Gervais' cackling laugh painfully annoying in that too, of course.

And I feel like I already previously said the same thing that you said Shrike, concerning it being more about comedy as opposed to being meant to be comical ("It's not exactly hilarious all the way through, but just like how I saw Chappelle recently, it's incredibly worthwhile for the insight and the stories."). And I'd share your sentiment with Patton Oswalt, as well. Definitely one of my favorites for both making me laugh as well as listening to stories and similar viewpoints about life at large.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Mon May 30, 2011 3:24 am

Actually I said something less to be a disagreeable dick and more to see you have a coniption for 3 paragraphs because it makes me laugh.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Mon May 30, 2011 3:32 am

lol at that being a "coniption" fit or the whole of it actually being a direct response meant only for you.

So I make you laugh, and you make me laugh. Guess that means you're a better comedian than Ricky Gervais.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Mon May 30, 2011 3:37 am

oo nicely done turning that one around. Sure you don't want to elaborate more in another 2000 word diatribe?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Mon May 30, 2011 4:07 am

Yes it was, actually. Sure you don't want to try to come up with a different insult?
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Mon May 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Not until this one stops working.
Back to top Go down
Iangorge
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Tue May 31, 2011 12:17 am

I don't really like Rock or Seinfeld. The other two are pretty funny to me, though. Marc Maron is also pretty funny.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Tue May 31, 2011 1:32 am

Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Tue May 31, 2011 11:59 am

Guybrush Threepwood
Back to top Go down
Clinton70

Title : Notorious Clintorious

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Tue May 31, 2011 1:03 pm

Not a fan of any of them really. I love Ron White, Lewis Black, Jimmy Norton. Greg Giraldo (RIP) was my favorite comedy central roaster. Also, the rural guy in me loves the redneck guys Larry The Cable Guy and Jeff Foxworthy.

Ron White and older Lewis Black is tops for me though.
Back to top Go down
Clinton70

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:32 am

bump moo
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:49 am

Why bump a thread that isn't going to fall off the first page for months? Tongue
Back to top Go down
Clinton70

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:57 am

I'm not sure. I was drunk at that time, 6/4 morning. Should be a breathalyser on my computers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK   Today at 4:20 am

Back to top Go down

Talking Funny: discussion among Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, Ricky Gervais and Louis CK
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1