HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Just watched the Doom movie again

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Just watched the Doom movie again   Tue May 24, 2011 10:42 pm

I saw the Doom movie for the first time when I was still in high school, and hadn't really seen many action or horror films in general. I thought it was great, but since then I've seen a ton of action movies, along with some horror films here and there. With my newfound experience with both genres, I decided to watch the Doom movie again just now, and I still think it's really good. It's not an amazing movie, but I still think it's a lot of fun, and it totally delivers on its promise of being a good, fun horror/action movie. The only thing that's really lame is that there's no Hell or anything in the movie, but I don't even really think about that when watching it. On its own terms, I think it's enjoyable. I have no idea why Doom has such a bad reputation when shit like Resident Evil continues to churn out multimillion dollar blockbuster sequels.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Just watched the Doom movie again   Tue May 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Just watched the Doom movie again   Thu May 26, 2011 2:24 am

Hehe, yeah, I liked the Doom movie as well. Totally cheesy awesome fun.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Just watched the Doom movie again   Thu May 26, 2011 3:01 am

I don't know why people hated on it so badly. It wasn't supposed to have a great story or anything.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Just watched the Doom movie again   Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:41 pm

I always thought it was awesome even though it has little to do with Doom. I was hoping for a sequel... but it didn't do well enough. Sad.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Just watched the Doom movie again   Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:54 pm

You were in high school and hadn't seen many action or horror movies?
What kind of childhood did you have Kurt?
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Just watched the Doom movie again   Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:48 am

Green_shoes wrote:
You were in high school and hadn't seen many action or horror movies?
What kind of childhood did you have Kurt?

Well I didn't watch many movies in general; I wasn't too into them when I was a kid, and my dad definitely isn't into many of those kinds of movies. He likes some action, but he can be kind of picky about what he likes or doesn't like. And he's not into horror at all, so I discovered that kind of stuff through other means.

Mainly when I was a kid, I was into video games and cartoons (from like age whatever to about 13). When I got older I started getting into metal, but that exposure to really intense imagery didn't immediately branch out into my starting to like action or horror movies. I think one thing that really helped me get into them was my 12th grade English teacher recommending me stuff. I wrote a short story for class one time, and he liked it a lot, saying it reminded him of Evil Dead/Army of Darkness. So that was how I decided to check them out, and Evil Dead was the first horror movie I really liked. I also remember talking to him about the Rambo movies when I first started seeing them, around when the 2008 movie was still in theaters. Aside from him, I also rewatched Die Hard, which I saw when I was about nine or ten, and I didn't like it at the time. When I watched it again though, I thought it was really fucking awesome. I also liked Live Free or Die Hard a lot, so from that point I started watching more stuff.

So I never got into those genres when I was a kid. I think part of it was that I really just didn't have the patience for most live-action stuff when I was younger. I was mainly into video games and Pokemon (and Cardcaptor Sakura).
Back to top Go down
possybending
VIP

Title : Inspecteur

Character sheet
Name: Possy
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Just watched the Doom movie again   Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:58 am

I sort of liked it back when I first saw it but the reason I hated it after not seeing it for a long time was that it was the absolute representation of "similar by name/names only". At this time, RE: Extinction hadn't occurred yet and everyone was into the "BUT IT'S NOT THE SAME AS THE SOURCE MATERIAL" hype on these things. Thankfully comic book movies have finally quenched quite a bit of that elitism but I still can't support something that uses only names and a vaguely similar plot, and then fucks up everything afterwards with ooc and terrible plot holes (like The Last Airbender or Wolverine: Origins).

For the longest time Doom fit that description, though after seeing it again earlier this year I remembered why I initially liked it: inane violence with fun character interactions and an unappreciated attempt at the FPS scene.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just watched the Doom movie again   Today at 11:36 am

Back to top Go down

Just watched the Doom movie again
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1