HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Rate the last movie you watched

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:35 pm

So I continued through my Alien Anthology box and saw Aliens, Alien 3: Assembly Cut and Alien Resurrection.

Aliens: Special Edition
It was a long time since I saw Aliens and I saw the original cut. My memory of it was this: it was like Alien, but without the suspense, just the action and a ridiculous fight involving a glorified forklift. I do remember being scared shitless at the scene with Newt in the water, I hate "something's hiding in the water"-scenes. Anyway, this time I came away with a completely different appreciation for the film, I really loved it. And after researching the differences between the original cut and this one, I think I understand why. All the stuff that was cut, were things that either actually added backstory or built tension. It seems like all the stuff that's gone in actually had a place in the original, which is usually the opposite of what happens in most director's cuts. Anyway, it's fucking awesome god tier scifi. There are only two downsides to it: Bill Paxton couldn't act to save his life back then. Also, god damn that forklift is ridiculous.

Alien 3:
I really wanted to like it because the time I saw it I didn't really understand all the flak it got. This is the second time I've seen it, and I think my first watch really let it off easy because I hadn't just come off of watching the first two. It's just a mess. It's a great premise, there are plenty of good religious motifs, the whole feminist angle, the AIDS-connection etc. But it just doesn't work. Considering how much trouble it had getting made it's not a surprise.

It doesn't have the strength of character that the first two, with Ripley being the only interesting one. Nor does it have production design. Nor does it have action. And the "throwback" to the original in having it be more of a dungeon-crawler, coridoor-chase-type thriller is just too poorly conceived to make it work. It has none of the tension that the first two had and the CG is beyond horrible, which of course it will be, it's from 1993! So Fincher & Crew ought to have kept the fuck away. The quadraped Alien-design is actually pretty good, and the man-in-suit portions are good. It's still worth watching, and not the steaming pile of crap people treat it like, but it's by far the worst of the four. On pretty much every level.

Alien Resurrection:
This is my third time watching it and I gotta say, I don't really get the hate still. I think the reason it gets shat upon this much is because it's the only Alien-movie with a sense of humor (courtesy of Whedon/Jeunet). Unfortunately, the humor isn't always delivered properly, Ron Perlman is the only one who consistently kills his one-liners. Pinon, Weaver and Ryder, not so much. I would imagine Jeunet had trouble directing properly in English. Also, Ripley's "post-partum-depressive-psychotic-autist-uber-bitch"-turn does throw one a bit off, but it makes perfect sense in terms of the story. Aside from the aforementioned, I have no problems with it. The rarely mentioned positives are: It's gorgeous. Best looking Alien-movie besides the original. The gore is top-notch. Ron fucking Perlman. The pacing works. Clever Aliens = scary Aliens. Don't trust the haters!
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:55 pm

Daaaaaaamn you. Paxton and the biped suit thing are two of the best parts of that movie.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:01 am

The Muppets Movie - 7.5/10

Not a bad movie. I was fairly entertained despite the amount of annoying children in the movie theatre.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:33 am

Abnormal Freak wrote:
Daaaaaaamn you. Paxton and the biped suit thing are two of the best parts of that movie.

Ripley's line is good, epic, classic. The suit is fucking ridiculous. It's Cameron trying to do live action anime, in the fucking 80s with practical effects. Admirable, but still.

Also, how is this good in any sense of the word?

His fucking eyebrows do more overacting in a single scene than goddamn Newt does throughout the entire movie. If you ordered your Alien movie with extra cheese, I get it. But considering how straight everyone else plays it, he just comes off as a cartoon, both in terms of script and delivery. The other space marines are pretty over the top too, but they're fucking SUBTLE compared to Paxton :p
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:31 pm

His role in that movie is so astounding. Your gayhomoness is baffling me. :o

"Game over, man, GAME OVER!"
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:57 pm

Yeah, Bill Paxton is awesome in that movie.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:07 pm

I like all 4 movies. People shit on Alien 3 and/or Resurrection all the time, but I enjoy the hell out of all of them
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:56 pm

I didn't mind Alien 3, Resurrection was bad.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:16 pm

I Saw the Devil: 9/10 - Pretty good film. Great cinematography to accompany some grizzly moments.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:10 pm

I'm going to watch Human Centipede 2 here pretty quick. I imagine it's going to be terrible, just like the first one.
Back to top Go down
jeffnogo

Title : Galder

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:19 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
I Saw the Devil: 9/10 - Pretty good film. Great cinematography to accompany some grizzly moments.

Yeah, that's a great movie. It has all of the intensity and great performances that I love Korean movies for.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:19 pm

Cghost21 wrote:
I'm going to watch Human Centipede 2 here pretty quick. I imagine it's going to be terrible, just like the first one.

First one was good but I hear the second one is really bad, even for people who enjoyed the first one.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:58 pm

lol the first one was terrible. Had seemingly no sense of direction, plot was terrible, violence was bad, acting was worse, I can't think of anything in the first one that would actually qualify it as good in any particular area of cinema. That said, I wanted to see the second one because apparently the violence and that was ramped up, but really it has even less merit. I'm not actually even sure what the point of making it was, other than to try and piss a bunch of people off in which case it loses all value as a piece of art. And it probably didn't even do that because I'm pretty sure A Serbian Film is still worse (and a better movie to boot).

Actually, the violence isn't even that bad, I'm pretty sure I've seen worse. The film really is terrible though. Nothing happens until an hour in, and the first hour is so meandering it made me want to stop watching it. The last half hour is basically just a remake of hte first movie, only with more explicit shitting scenes and what not, which were actually funnier to witness than they were revolting. Still though, that's probably the worst 'movie' I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:02 am

I thought the second one was pretty entertaining. Didn't really like the first one.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:39 am

Galaxy of Terror - Oh. My. God. The nudity... 1,000,000,000,000/10
Rock and Roll High School - still awesome. Joey is so fucking ugly though, I never noticed that
Piranha - also still awesome
Humanoids From the Deep - turned out to be awesome
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:40 am

Er wait, I just watched Forbidden World, NOT Galaxy of Terror
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:40 am

Yeah, Galaxy of Terror has so little nudity and it's not as fun as I figured a Roger Corman Alien ripoff would be.

But when our favorite chick was about to die, my friends and I were all so bummed that we didn't get to see her tatties, and I put it out there that "maybe the giant maggot will rip all her clothes off." I threw it out there to be absurd

...but then it fucking happened, and we all cheered.

The Slumber Party Massacre

Ho-ly fuck, that was even more entertaining that I'd hoped, and it had some DELICIOUS nakedity. Except I'm severely bummed that the hottest chick in the movie, the black one with the big cans, never bared her goods. Dammit. But her nighty was hella hot, those beubs jostling all ova da playce.

TOO BAD I HAD TO WATCH IT ON MY FRIEND'S TV WITH ALL THE SHITTY DNR AND 120HZ AND ALL THAT BULLSHIT TURNED ON

Seriously, the grain...oh fuck, the grain looked like something I can't even describe, it was messed up so bad.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:38 pm

I watched Fire and Ice a couple days ago. I guess I'd rate it an 8/10. It was pretty awesome! I wish it was a little bloodier, but there were still some seriously awesome action scenes in it. It felt like D&D dice rolls were constantly happening throughout the film Tongue
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 am

Star Crash - Laugh , oh man I have no words. Other than I need to be drunk or on something next time
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:43 am

A Serbian Film: 6.5/10 - Hard film to rate. Kinda reminded me of a Serbian oldboy but without revenge being involved. Well shot. Well acted (I suppose) and I think the film delivers on what it's trying to accomplish.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:48 am

Redline

Amazing, and one of the most satisfying tit shots ever. I don't care if they're drawn. Fuck.

Was happy to see Trava and Shinkai from Trava: Fist Planet in it.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:16 am

Warrior: 9/10 - A great film. Brutal and moving.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:10 pm

The Tree of Live: 8/10 - Beautiful obviously, but the story wasn't as compelling as the imagery to me.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:12 am

Chillerama

Fuck. FUCK. If only I'd kept on watching this on Netflix I'd have seen just what a big steaming pile it is. The first twenty minutes or so are really awesome, but it sucks sooo, so bad from there on out. I just had to go and assume the other segments would be awesome and purchase the Blu-ray... $14.50 I could have spent on something awesome.

:|

Dolls

Watched this again, this time with my buddy, as we needed to purge our minds from the bullshit we'd just witnessed with something totally awesome.

I UNWITTINGLY USED "AWESOME" A LOT IN THIS POST
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Red State

Apart from the overly long, on-the-nose "sermon"-scene, I liked it. John Goodman was badass, the movie itself never got boring and had tons of actually, honest to God, good twists. It was never subtle, on any conceivable level, but I really enjoyed it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rate the last movie you watched   Today at 6:27 am

Back to top Go down

Rate the last movie you watched
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 37 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next