Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Katatonia

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jthefrank

PostSubject: Katatonia   Mon May 16, 2011 3:26 pm

So I've been listening to a lot of Swallow the Sun again lately, and listening to the track on Hope where Jonas Renske does guest vocals has gotten me interested in checking out Katatonia. The only album of theirs I'm familiar with is The Great Cold Distance, which I found pretty underwhelming. Any fans of theirs here who can recommend what material I should check out? I'd prefer a melodic death/doom metal sound ala Swallow the Sun, which according to metalstorm would be Brave Murder Day and the EPs from around that time.
Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia   Mon May 16, 2011 3:44 pm

Shit, just noticed that November's Doom just released a new album, so I may as well piggyback onto this thread. Anyone check it out? Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia   Mon May 16, 2011 4:01 pm

It depends on what you want out of it.

Renkse's does death metal vocals on the album (Dance of December souls), first EP (For Funerals to Come), then does clean vocals on Brave Murder Day (with Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth handling death metal vocals) and on the Sounds of Decay-EP Akerfeldt does all vocals.

Coincidentally, those releases are also Katatonia's best material by far. The Great Cold Distance gets a lot of cred, but I was disappointed by it too. Out of Katatonia's "clean"-phase I think Viva Emptiness is definitely the best one, but they all pale in comparison to their death/doom-era (Dance of December Souls/For Funerals to Come/Brave Murder Day/Sounds of Decay).

Also, you might want to check out October Tide, which was another death-doom project Renkse did harsh vocals for.

Back to top Go down
jthefrank

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia   Mon May 16, 2011 4:22 pm

Shrike wrote:
It depends on what you want out of it.

Renkse's does death metal vocals on the album (Dance of December souls), first EP (For Funerals to Come), then does clean vocals on Brave Murder Day (with Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth handling death metal vocals) and on the Sounds of Decay-EP Akerfeldt does all vocals.

Coincidentally, those releases are also Katatonia's best material by far. The Great Cold Distance gets a lot of cred, but I was disappointed by it too. Out of Katatonia's "clean"-phase I think Viva Emptiness is definitely the best one, but they all pale in comparison to their death/doom-era (Dance of December Souls/For Funerals to Come/Brave Murder Day/Sounds of Decay).

Also, you might want to check out October Tide, which was another death-doom project Renkse did harsh vocals for.

Cool, Century Media appears to have BMD + FFtC for only $8, so I think I'll start with that
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia   Mon May 16, 2011 5:46 pm

Brave Murder Day is the best if you can get past the awful clean vocals.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia   Mon May 16, 2011 7:17 pm

I've only listened to the first couple tracks on November's Doom's new album, but they were pretty meh.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia   Mon May 16, 2011 9:29 pm

Last Fair Deal Gone Down or Tonight's Decision are the best.

I really disliked The Great Cold Distance at first but now I really enjoy it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Katatonia   Today at 12:00 am

Back to top Go down

Katatonia
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1