The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Fri May 06, 2011 8:51 pm

I'm not really familiar with any of this kind of music. I've had exposure but I don't know much. Anyway, I was just watching some Hammers of Misfortune videos on youtube and I came across this person..

I really dig this. Can any of you recommend some stuff similar in style to this?

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Fri May 06, 2011 8:52 pm

I would like to insert my penis into her.
Back to top Go down
Shrike

PostSubject: Re: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Sat May 07, 2011 4:41 am

That chick is good. Will have to google her.

As for fusion-stuff, I'm not gonna be that big a contributor, but I'll give it a shot:

David Axelrod - Songs of Innocence, Songs of Experience, and Seriously Deep

He's definitely more orchestral than the videos you put up, but there's definitely a lot of funky beats going on.

Other than that. Zappa is probably going to be one avenue to check out. I couldn't get into much he did besides Hot Rats, but you should check him out.

Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Sun May 08, 2011 7:53 pm

She's really good.

Not really sure if I'd call that fusion. Has more of a Chick Corea bebop feel or something. Maybe, I don't really know jazz genres that well, I just call it jazz. Anyway if you want some stuff that I think you might like based on that check out:

John Coltrane - GIant Steps
Miles Davis - Milestones
Art Blakey - Moanin' (all three of these are old school bebop type shit, maybe not quite your thing but give it a shot)
Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior (I haven't listened to this forever so it might not have the same sound I'm thinking of)
Chick Corea - My Spanish Heart
The Budos Band - The Budos Band III (Funk/Jazz fusion stuff, really awesome)
Jaco Pastorius - Self Title
Weather Report - Heavy Weather (these 2 are typical jazz fusion stuff)
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats; THe Grand Wazoo (Hot Rats is awesome, pretty accessible, think you'd really like it, The Grand Wazoo has more of an avant-garde feel but still is a great fusion album)
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (fantastic everything, another great fusion album)
Medeski Martin and Wood - Notes From the Underground (I have all of their stuff, but this is the only one I'm really familiar with, but it might be to your liking. All of their other stuff is fantastic as well and you could probably dig it)
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Mon May 09, 2011 4:26 pm

well according to wiki, Chick Corea never did any bebop, only Post-Bop and Fusion lol. iether way I still think he'd be up your alley.
Back to top Go down
possybending
VIP

Title : Inspecteur

Character sheet
Name: Possy
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Mon May 09, 2011 6:23 pm

Later Corea (like with his "Past, present and Future trio) plays more of a latin-bebop-mixed style, though I've never understood this whole "post-bop" stuff so maybe that's it.

Here's the "single" (it counts as a single as it was used by shops for the longest time as a sampler for speakers) from P,P and F. I like it a lot and still give it plenty of plays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyMaVJp3gqw
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Mon May 09, 2011 7:18 pm

I don't really understand most of it to be honest. Not that I've really tried.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Tue May 10, 2011 6:25 pm

I haven't listened to much yet. I did check out some Mahavishnu Orchestra and Chick Corea. I liked Chick Corea more based on what I've heard so far.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
possybending
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Tue May 10, 2011 7:07 pm

Listening to it more, I'm catching more of the fusion styles and functions (like using electric and electronic instruments being part). Either way, she's really good (and did drum corp in her youth, so I'm absolutely attracted and jealous) and has good flare with the playing style. I'll have to check for any of her material out there.

Check out some Jaco Pastorius. Some of his stuff is similar to this.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Tue May 10, 2011 7:15 pm

If you find any recorded stuff of hers, let me know.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
possybending
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Wed May 11, 2011 2:04 pm

I somewhat have, but it's nothing you're looking for. She got hired to play drums for an in-studio band for a Quebec tv show (it says children show but sounds like an action-oriented soap opera from video clips/genre of music) and they bring in different vocalists in the area to sing latin-romancy pop songs. As you can expect, she's stuck playing slow simply patterns and so little character is given with it (obviously intentional), I literally thought it was a drum machine at first.

At the same time, it's probably what she needed (In regards to money). Everything else I'm finding is her doing Drum Corp stuff and then joining tours as auxiliary percussion, or playing as a part of specialty shows with other celebrities. I hope she can find a band to join with, though, even though it's a lot harder to make a living off jazz these days.

Edit:

Though she added a drum-enhanced version of her performances and it's a bit better (still not in love with the song though). Either the mix in the official songs covered up some of the personality of the drums, or she only add it here to make it more interesting to hear/watch.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...   Today at 5:37 am

Back to top Go down

You jazz/funk/fusion-whatever oriented guys...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1