You retro gamers...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: You retro gamers...   Wed May 04, 2011 2:38 am

Why the fuck did no one tell me about Contra, Castlevania, and Gradius Rebirth!? I just watched videos of all three tonight and holy shit. They all look AWESOME. I think I'm going to go buy Contra and Castlevania tonight. Contra looks like it may be a remake or a reboot... but it had a bit of a variation from what I saw. I'm not TERRIBLY familiar with the original Castlevania, but it looked like some of the bad parts of the gameplay were fixed. Like bad controls... flying back when you get it... things like that. And I love the Metroidvania games. So a harder, non-RPG version of that seems promising. Gradius, though, appears to be an exact remake with prettier graphics. Since I've already got Gradius... I'll pass on it for now.

But anyway... any of you guys have these games? If you do, or know better than me, am I wrong with my assessments of those games?

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee

PostSubject: Re: You retro gamers...   Wed May 04, 2011 3:04 am

What are they being released on?
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: You retro gamers...   Wed May 04, 2011 3:19 am

I know, Wii at least. They're already released on WiiWare.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: You retro gamers...   Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 pm

You guys suck. I bought Contra and Castlevania today. So far, I've only played Castlevania. I'm not sure if it's a remake of any games (doesn't really seem to be) but damn is it fun. I just got to Stage 5 in a 45 minute - 1 hour playthrough. I'm sure I could have gotten farther but I decided to end with my first game over. Seems I was correct. A lot of the older annoyances have been addressed and it makes it a MUCH better and easier game. I like.

Haven't played Contra yet.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: You retro gamers...   Thu May 05, 2011 5:00 am

I talked about both Contra ReBirth and Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth at IGN when they were new, but I don't think you were posting at that time.

They're both awesome. All new games, not remakes. The Castlevania one is supposed to kind of be a remake of Castlevania: The Adventure, but it's nothing at all like that game (you don't even climb ropes instead of stairs for crying out loud); I think it's a "remake" in the sense that Haunted Castle, Super Castlevania IV, and Castlevania Chronicles are remakes of the first game—they retell the same story but the games are completely different.

I DISAGREE ON YOU SAYING THE EARLY CASTLEVANIAS HAVE BAD CONTROLS I love those controls, nig.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: You retro gamers...   Thu May 05, 2011 7:51 am

I finally got around to playing Contra. That was pretty sweet too. At first I was thrown off. I was playing NES style. But I noticed I couldn't run and shoot. This baffled me because it's like "What the hell... this is Contra". Plugged in the classic controller and that cleared right up. Pretty fun game. With unlimited continues it really makes it a fairly easy Contra game. I only made it to the third level so that may change, I dunno.

That Castlevania game is pretty fun. I watched the GT retrospective on Castlevania whenever they did that, and it made me want to pick up the older Gameboy games.

The controls on the NES game are way too clunky for me. I keep getting my ass kicked because it either seems like it's slow to respond or I'm busy being knocked back into pits when I'm hit. Really frustrating to me and it makes it a deal breaker. So glad Rebirth doesn't feel like that. Controls are a little clunky to make it feel like old Castlevania but not so much that it feels like a detriment to me. All around, awesome game. I hope Konami does some more of these games.

And I was probably banned at that time. I'm not sure when these came out.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: You retro gamers...   Mon May 09, 2011 2:56 am

I think they came out in the 2008-2009 period. I know I talked about Contra ReBirth when that came out, because it's awesome. I had no idea you were unaware of its existence.

Do you have a 360? Hard Corps: Uprising is also really awesome, as a Contra game which doesn't have the name Contra in it. It's also on the PS3, but who knows when PSN will be back up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You retro gamers...   Today at 7:16 pm

Back to top Go down

You retro gamers...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1