The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Best movie theater experiences you've had?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Mon May 02, 2011 11:34 pm

+ Seeing the Alien Director's Cut in 2003. Me and some homies from work met up with some others and went to the last showing on opening night. We were the only people in the theater aside from two other people. Disgraceful, I know, but whatever. It made for optimal viewing conditions, because we got perfect seats and weren't hearing any bullshit talking or wrapper rustling during this largely quiet film. Was awesome.

+ The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, for pretty much the exact same reasons as above. lol @ nobody wanting to see good movies.

+ Combined entry: most the times I go to the earlier Trash Film Orgy sessions. I've had stories about this before, and it's famous for being the only midnight movie theater in town (summer and Halloween only, most years). It's basically a gathering point for degenerate junkies, street people, deadbeats, movie buffs, metalheads, punks and rockabilly weirdos, nerds and geeks and any other mish-mash assortment of dorks you can find in the city. A standard viewing includes a packed house with people smuggling in their own drugs and alcohol (they got their liquor license a few years ago, and thus started to crack down on people bringing their own stuff because that meant that they were losing out on sales lol). More than half the patrons dress up like any number of things you'd see on Halloween, among other things. There's a stage show serving as an introduction, complete with a DJ, Mexican wrestling-masked master of ceremonies, tiki-dressed floozies, where they do a short exhibition and then promote what's coming for the next viewing and then finally introduce the film. It used to be that they showed two films with an intermission between the two, but in recent years they usually just do one film but still with an intermission somewhere in the middle of it. It's a lot less fun in recent years, but I definitely had a fair share of good times at these. Oh, and they only show film prints as long as they're available, by the way. At this event I've seen things like: a few of the Friday the 13ths, Barbarella, Chopping Mall, Repo Man, Meet the Feebles, Evil Dead 1 and 2, Re-Animator, others I can't remember.

+ Freddy Vs. Jason. This one was just pure awesome because of the audience and my friends. It was a packed house for a shit movie, which I love despite my gripes for the opposite up above lol. This was another one where we went after work with a buncha work homies. One of my friends stole a Freddy glove from the store (we worked at a party store that carries costumes during Halloween season) that he snuck into the theater. We were with a very big group, with a surprisingly good female:male ratio, and like I said, the audience was pretty cool with their incessant laughter, gasps and yelled comments. During one sequence, my friend with the glove waited for it to get quiet and extra tense, then shot his Freddy-gloved hand up into the air and shouted, "BLARRRRRGHHHHHHH!!!" freaking the shit out of everybody lol. So much fun.

+ Kill Bill parts One AND TWO (yes fags, it's one movie in the first place, not two, and it's altogether awesome dipshits). This was fun because I had become a Tarantino junkie by means of home video, and was about to embark on my first theater exposure to his work. Both times we went me and my friends decided to dress up, but not in any real matching or fitting theme. I wore a basic business suit both times (Reservoir Dogs-ish I guess), friends wore other stuff like a full body Tigger costume, a Bill Clinton mask with cutoff jeans and a tye-dyed shirt, etc.. This was another basic example of it just being a wonderful film with an enthusiastic audience.

+ 300: non-stop laugh-fest. Seriously. I don't know if I laughed this hard at any other movie. Cincy cried.

drawing a black on others.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Mon May 02, 2011 11:47 pm

I don't think I've had any movie-going experience that stands out because of any particular crowd interactions (or lack there-of).

Me and my friends being the only ones to bust out laughing during SuckerPunch where Vanessa Hudgens gets shot in the face was pretty epic though.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Mon May 02, 2011 11:50 pm

I can't think of any truly memorable movie theatre experiences.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Tue May 03, 2011 12:22 am

Grindhouse was really fun.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Tue May 03, 2011 1:23 am

Most of my best movie experiences are from when I was a kid. Seeing Honey, I Blew Up the Kid at the Harmar Theater (link). Man, I wish (LINK DAMMIT LOXX FIX THIS SHIT SO LINKS ARE A DIFFERENT COLOR) this place were still around, and I wish I'd thought to go see movies there once I got a driver's license. Now it's gone and I'm totally bummed.

ANYWAY, this theater was a pretty luxurious place in the early '70s when it was built, lol. Gigantic screen, big chandelier in the lobby with fake gold trappings. I remember walking in there with my family when I was like five or something and being totally amazed. (Of course, by then the one big screen got split into two small screens and really shitty narrow auditoriums.) That's probably my very first moviegoing memory, actually. I know I'd been taken to movies before, but I can't really remember 'em. (My mom tells me she took me to see Who Framed Roger Rabbit at our town's now-abandoned one-screen theater. Wish I could've experienced that theater as well. I like those dingy one-screen places. Cineplexes are cool too, but they lose a lot of the charm.)

Aaand, another great experience was seeing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III, ha ha. Hate the movie now, but that sure was an amazing experience for me. We went to see it at the brand-spanking-new local cineplex, and if that wasn't the first movie I saw there, it was definitely one of the first. I loved that theater so much back in the early to mid '90s; tons of fun movie experiences there. It's still my preferred theater even above all the digital theaters and newer surroundings, but the "magic" really isn't there anymore, lol. It's just like, "Yeah, it's a theater."
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Tue May 03, 2011 11:51 am

The place that does the Trash Film Orgy is called the Crest Theater and it used to be single screen, but it was eventually made into three, with a main auditorium that seats about 1,000 and two smaller screens that seat about 200. The main auditorium used to seat 2,000 when it also had a balcony, but I think they did away with that in the '80s at the absolute most recent lol. I've only been to the main auditorium, and have seen more than just films there. They rent it out for other things like parties, weddings, plays, political events, speakers, comedy shows, etc.. In fact, in I think it was either 2004 or 2005 I saw the Spike & Mike Animation Festival there.

Just about twenty blocks away is the Tower Theater, sometimes showcasing arthouse and indie flicks, but more often than not just faux-indie/intellectual films that wouldn't fill seats in more normal-sized theaters (I've seen stuff here like Sideways and American Splendor). This is another theater that used to be a single but was then made into three, I think sometime in the '80s. Right across the street was what used to be a Tower Drugstore, and then a Tower Records, and now it's another record store.

Crest pictures:

Tower pictures:

Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Tue May 03, 2011 5:03 pm

We have nothing that extravagant in Minnesota, lol. I feel gypped. All the theaters in Minneapolis that play indie and cult flicks are pretty run-down and trashy, and even at their most luxurious when first built are nothing all that impressive.

There is a cool-looking theater not far, however, that plays classic cartoons on weekend mornings. It's decorated like a crappy church Easter play, ha ha. But it's kind of cool because the building has a very Spanish design, and apparently used to have a gigantic iron door. It's also got like this sky scenery with moving clouds and stuff, to give the ceiling an open-air night feel. It looks and sounds like a real dump now, but I kinda wanna check it out. And that's a bit south of the Twin Cities, so maybe there are some rather luxurious theaters somewhere around here.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Tue May 03, 2011 5:05 pm

You're theatres look a shit load more fancier than what we have down here.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Tue May 03, 2011 5:22 pm

The Crest is nice, definitely, but it's more nice in design than it is in maintenance, if you get my drift haha. And The Tower Theater is mostly cool for the exterior, low ticket prices and films they have to show. The inside is pretty boring, with not much character and small screens and seating areas, and rather uncomfortable seats. I didn't not include pictures of the inside because I was ashamed, though, it was simply because i couldn't find any online lol.

And those aren't "my theaters" in the sense that I go to them all the time or that all the theaters in my area are all historical and classy like that. They're just two of over a dozen, the rest of which are all more modern and sterile like most people come to expect and be comfortable with. I really only make it out to those two theaters a combined once a year lately (used to be plenty more five or more years ago, though).
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Tue May 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Going to theaters is a waste of money. Some movies are better on big screen (i.e. Cloverfield), but those are the only ones worth going too. And even then, it's not usually worth the price of admission.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Tue May 03, 2011 5:45 pm

good story.
Back to top Go down
tuggernuts

Title : The Mighty Masturbator

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Tue May 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Cghost21 wrote:
Going to theaters is a waste of money. Some movies are better on big screen (i.e. Cloverfield), but those are the only ones worth going too. And even then, it's not usually worth the price of admission.

Completely disagree. The overall experience of watching a movie in a theater is far better than watching at home. Its not just the big screen, but also the sound and (usually) the atmosphere of the crowd.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Tue May 03, 2011 7:35 pm

IRREVERSIBLE, 8 1/2, BALLAST, SYNECDOCHE NEW YORK, etc etc
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Tue May 03, 2011 7:56 pm

8 Mile?
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Wed May 04, 2011 3:48 am

tuggernuts wrote:
Cghost21 wrote:

Completely disagree. The overall experience of watching a movie in a theater is far better than watching at home. Its not just the big screen, but also the sound and (usually) the atmosphere of the crowd.

I was kind of implying sound when I said big screen, should have been clearer. Anyway the crowd usually totally fucks it up anyway because you always have a bunch of stupid jerkoffs using the phone or yapping or people screaming for no reason (really bad during paranormal activity 2). And if that stupid shit isn't happening I'm usually too involved in the movie to notice the crowd. SOrry, for the 12 bucks to get in, plus whatever other dollar sum the theaters rape out of your wallet to get some food and a drink, I'd rather sit at home and watch a movie I downloaded on my 22 inch tv through my shitty laptop speakers. Like I say, there are exceptions, but it's usually not worth it.

Actually, typing that brought to mind my best movie experience that I can remember. It was me and my buddy going to see the Halloween remake. I was really stoked on it, and he didn't really care. But after we realized we pissed away our combined 24 dollars in ticket expenditures plus whatever else we spent on shittyn food, we just made fun of the movie the whole time. Definitely my best theater experience.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Wed May 04, 2011 12:48 pm

Electroretard wrote:
8 Mile?

Eight and one half.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Wed May 04, 2011 12:49 pm

Nah bro, I think you just lost yourself in the moment.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Wed May 04, 2011 8:23 pm

Cloverfield sucks no matter where you see it.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Thu May 05, 2011 3:48 am

Yeah, it's pretty bad. But it was better in theaters. It was abysmal on home video.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Thu May 05, 2011 5:36 am

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
Cloverfield sucks no matter where you see it.

I remember being excited to see Cloverfield. The excitement died pretty quickly once I started watching it.
Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Mon May 09, 2011 3:03 am

I saw Scott Pilgrim vs The World the weekend it came out with a bunch of friends, and we all loved it. It was so much fun watching it in the theater together.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Fri May 13, 2011 3:42 pm

Kurtius, you ever been to Graumann's Chinese Theater? I've wanted to go there so bad for a long time, but haven't been to L.A., outside of work, for years.

For those not in the know, the Chinese Theater is a historic Hollywood theater known for it's extravagant design and academy history. Place looks BADASS.

Back to top Go down
X-pert74
Kate-chan

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Fri May 13, 2011 5:45 pm

Yeah, I've been there a couple times, but I can't remember most of what I've seen there. I think I saw the third Pirates of the Caribbean movie there, for a friend's birthday party. I didn't care for it; I've never seen the second Pirates movie, and I didn't really like the first one, so that's part of why I didn't get into it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best movie theater experiences you've had?   Today at 12:05 pm

Back to top Go down

Best movie theater experiences you've had?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1