The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.


Surrender To All Life Beyond Form
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Petrychor: black metal

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
lotsajoy



Posts : 89
Title : InternetSexMonster
Registered : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Sun May 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Yeah, I had a feeling the artwork would help steer you in the "I don't like this!" direction.

No offense, but you sure sound like it.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero



Posts : 3992
Registered : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Sun May 29, 2011 10:21 pm

you seriously think the artwork influenced my less-favorable opinion of the sound on the record?
Back to top Go down
lotsajoy



Posts : 89
Title : InternetSexMonster
Registered : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Sun May 29, 2011 10:25 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
you seriously think the artwork influenced my less-favorable opinion of the sound on the record?

Given that's all you've been talking about I would say "yes".
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero



Posts : 3992
Registered : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Sun May 29, 2011 10:37 pm

You just see whatever you want to, don't you? Did you just completely gloss over that whole paragraph where I explained my gripes with it? Or the part where I expressed my dislike for the artwork before having heard the album, but then also said that I still wanted the CD, and then also the part where I said I still don't like the artwork after hearing the album, and again, said I still wanted the CD. Or how I called the artwork hideously awful, as in the whole of it completely sucks, but about the record I said I still like at least half of it and that it's not actually bad but instead just not as enjoyable when compared to the demo. This insurmountable evidence to the contrary of what you allege to be my motivation for not being in love with a CD didn't register with you at all? I also don't like the updated artwork for the Dryad demo that's listed on the bandcamp page, do you think I suddenly have an opposing opinion to that record now, too?
Back to top Go down
lotsajoy



Posts : 89
Title : InternetSexMonster
Registered : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Sun May 29, 2011 11:21 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
You just see whatever you want to, don't you? Did you just completely gloss over that whole paragraph where I explained my gripes with it? Or the part where I expressed my dislike for the artwork before having heard the album, but then also said that I still wanted the CD, and then also the part where I said I still don't like the artwork after hearing the album, and again, said I still wanted the CD. Or how I called the artwork hideously awful, as in the whole of it completely sucks, but about the record I said I still like at least half of it and that it's not actually bad but instead just not as enjoyable when compared to the demo. This insurmountable evidence to the contrary of what you allege to be my motivation for not being in love with a CD didn't register with you at all? I also don't like the updated artwork for the Dryad demo that's listed on the bandcamp page, do you think I suddenly have an opposing opinion to that record now, too?

Artwork certainly plays a pivotal role in our enjoyment of music. Had a picture of a couple of guys making out on a sofa graced the cover of "In the nightside eclipse" do you think the album would be as popular as it is? Likely, no, and this same principle applies here too.

I don't think you're being disingenuous. I do however believe you'd be more favorable towards this album had the artwork been to your liking. First impressions are everything. You developed at least one negative impression about the album right off the bat before you even heard it and that without any uncertainty drove your biases when it came time to listen.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero



Posts : 3992
Registered : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Sun May 29, 2011 11:35 pm

What are you, some psych major dropout? You're still making a large assumption about me that I have to tell you is incorrect. You're mostly talking about the overall success of an album when rated by an audience--a scene--en masse, made up of people who are unaware becoming interested in something because they saw it on a shelf and thought it looked not only cool, but in line with other things that they liked and thought it more of a safe bet. I'm talking about my own individual opinion, about a band I already knew I liked, doing something I wasn't crazy about, but not letting it deter me, especially because it wasn't related to what is the first and most major attraction for me: the music. By the same logic, to prove both my own honesty and self-awareness, if I can hate a band's members and ideologies but still love the music (as I do in multiple cases), why can't I hate one particular album's artwork but still love the music, and as an extension of that, hate the artwork and the album both, but not have that mean I hate the band or that I made one decision based on another unrelated conclusion? The exact opposite has of course happened, as well. I can't tell you how many dozens of times I've seen artwork that I thought was badass, and it was indeed my first exposure to an album or even a band, and I ended up listening to it and thought it was terrible.

This is just you both being defensive and trying to be a smart prick at the same time, that's all. I mean fuck, give me at least a little bit of credit.
Back to top Go down
lotsajoy



Posts : 89
Title : InternetSexMonster
Registered : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Sun May 29, 2011 11:51 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
This is just you both being defensive and trying to be a smart prick at the same time, that's all. I mean fuck, give me at least a little bit of credit.

Of course I'm being defensive, and so are you. See, you and I have a lot in common. We're both hypersensitive and a bit verbose but I'm a flaming prick and you, well you're just kinda laid back and you like to go "This is what I think man: [insert huge block of unbroken text here.]".

There's nothing wrong with that though. Being passionate and a bit of an ass about it I mean. Do you have many friends? I certainly don't. That's why I have a multitude of fake internet accounts I use to hold elaborate conversations with.

Back to top Go down
lotsajoy



Posts : 89
Title : InternetSexMonster
Registered : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Sun May 29, 2011 11:54 pm

(*logs out as lotsajoy and logs back in as roughdraft_zero*)
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero



Posts : 3992
Registered : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Mon May 30, 2011 12:13 am

The primary difference is I'm not attacking anything. I'm expressing an opinion on something that couldn't be called either a shining review nor a scathing one, which you happen to have a loose connection with, and then decide to insult my intelligence and integrity in response instead of something more applicable and conducive to remaining on the subject of the music, which is the actual topic, by posting something like your own review expressing your opposing opinion, or even a breakdown of my complaints with how you see them differently. Instead you make these wild, unflattering allegations and then also defend them with the gilded guise of me not being aware enough of my own intellectual and neurological tendencies to know why I'm drawing my own conclusions.

Is this how you treat people you interact with in real life? Do you still wonder why you have so few friends? (see? I can make unfair and insulting assumptions about you, too)
Back to top Go down
Ancient Rune



Posts : 1410
Title : Trolling Dick
Registered : 2011-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Mon May 30, 2011 1:11 am

ITT Bitches
Back to top Go down
lotsajoy



Posts : 89
Title : InternetSexMonster
Registered : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Mon May 30, 2011 1:26 am

roughdraft_zero wrote:
The primary difference is I'm not attacking anything. I'm expressing an opinion on something that couldn't be called either a shining review nor a scathing one, which you happen to have a loose connection with, and then decide to insult my intelligence and integrity in response instead of something more applicable and conducive to remaining on the subject of the music, which is the actual topic, by posting something like your own review expressing your opposing opinion, or even a breakdown of my complaints with how you see them differently. Instead you make these wild, unflattering allegations and then also defend them with the gilded guise of me not being aware enough of my own intellectual and neurological tendencies to know why I'm drawing my own conclusions.

Is this how you treat people you interact with in real life? Do you still wonder why you have so few friends? (see? I can make unfair and insulting assumptions about you, too)

Are you a chick?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero



Posts : 3992
Registered : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Mon May 30, 2011 1:26 am

what say you about the album?

[edit]: ^^^to Rune

lotsajoy wrote:
Are you a chick?

no, and why?
Back to top Go down
lotsajoy



Posts : 89
Title : InternetSexMonster
Registered : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Mon May 30, 2011 1:29 am

roughdraft_zero wrote:
no, and why?

Oh, was just wondering.
Back to top Go down
lotsajoy



Posts : 89
Title : InternetSexMonster
Registered : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Mon May 30, 2011 1:32 am

But no man, I know what you mean about unfair assumptions. Without seeing any body language like what kind of faces the other guy or girl is making it can be a bit hard to really tell what someone means to say on the interwebz.

Bros? (*extends fist*).
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero



Posts : 3992
Registered : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Mon May 30, 2011 1:44 am

brofists are fine and all, but I still can't admit that I could be said to be anywhere near as at fault or out of line as you. You used words like, "without any uncertainty", basically calling me feeble, and made ridiculous hypothetical comparisons like they were some perfect analogy to back up your logic of understanding and my lack of understanding, that was still, in the end, meant to be nothing more than insult, even if it was a lazy or subconsciously committed one. And you still never actually said anything about the record, unlike me. Not that you have to, by any means, but it would sure likely lead to more on-topic, meaningful discussion.
Back to top Go down
lotsajoy



Posts : 89
Title : InternetSexMonster
Registered : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Mon May 30, 2011 1:52 am

roughdraft_zero wrote:
And you still never actually said anything about the record, unlike me. Not that you have to, by any means, but it would sure likely lead to more on-topic, meaningful discussion.

OK, back on topic then. Here's what I wrote about the album at Last FM:

"My thoughts on "Effigies And Epitaphs" : it's a very a special album. Like someone else said before me it really stands out in the field of contenders because it has its own sound and its own direction which cannot easily be equated to anything done by any other band until now.

I think some people may find the production hard to get used to; it's raw and very chaotic at times. Tad describes it as "whitenoise" because everything kind of melds together like a sonic ocean of buzz, but I believe the effect works and provides a nice contrast to the clean breaks, ambiance and acoustic passages found in heaps throughout the album.

My personal favorite song is "Of Grandest Majesties". The synth which breaks through the murk at around 3:49 and repeats later is just completely breathtaking."
Back to top Go down
lotsajoy



Posts : 89
Title : InternetSexMonster
Registered : 2011-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Here's a few updates:













Samples:

Petrychor - "Effigies And Epitaphs / Dryad"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl5h4jGfkyQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwYcu5LmrWM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHuU-mmmBic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_fKEGuLf_Y

Clair Cassis - "Luxury Absolute"
http://www.khrysanthoney.com/sound/007/claircassis_antiqueseasmoke.mp3
http://www.khrysanthoney.com/sound/007/claircassis_oliveinkseahorse.mp3
http://www.khrysanthoney.com/sound/007/claircassis_undersleepygreyelms.mp3

More samples, pics, info and how to order:

http://www.khrysanthoney.com
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero



Posts : 3992
Registered : 2009-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:39 pm

pretty stellar packaging and artwork all the way around...well you know, except for the obvious Tongue
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))



Posts : 19272
Age : 29
Location : In a galaxy far, far away...
Registered : 2008-05-06

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Rank: Sith Cadet
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:10 pm

New Clair Cassis? Woo.

_________________

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Petrychor: black metal   Today at 8:05 am

Back to top Go down
 
Petrychor: black metal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» LaVeyan Satanism
» Dismissal of Black Panther case a 'travesty of justice.'
» WANTED: All black version of WWII USMC Stiletto
» Black woman threatens to kill all whites in astonishing outburst
» Young Actress Chyna Layne Filipino mother black father

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Dark Academy :: General :: Music-
Jump to: