Recommend me some cool documentaries

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:20 am

The Union
Restrepo
Cocaine Cowboys
Fat Head (this isn't a "cool documentary" but has information many people don't know)
American Drug War
Exit Through the Gift Shop
Bigger, Stronger, Faster
Blood Into Wine
A/K/A Tommy Chong
Beer Wars
8: The Mormon Proposition

all on netflix instant watch if you have that
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

Title : post-post

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:22 am

Beer Wars is basically a giant Dogfish Head commercial.

Good movie though.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:36 am

I'd like to try some dogfish but I believe it was 9 bucks for a 4 pack over at safeway. I'm sure it tastes great, but it's hard to justify spending that much. If the beer is up there with Pliny the Elder or something, then I guess it'd be worth it. You can argue and say it was showing them off and trying to get sales, yes, but I'd say they are just trying to get people to stop buying American Adjunct Lagers and try something with more complexity.

Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:31 pm

lol 9 bucks for 4 beer is expensive?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:38 pm

fuck yes it is you kikefag.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:55 pm

How cheap is beer in the states?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:06 pm

What kind/brand of beer?

Also it can vary greatly by location.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:07 pm

Just an average price? I don't think 9 bucks for four beer is overly expensive. That's only 2.25 a beer.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:54 pm

Well if you're comparing it to like bar prices or something, then yeah.

Just some examples for my area for beers when they're NOT on sale:

Pabst, Natural Ice, Milwaukee, Keystone etc. are usually $7 for a 12-pack.
Budweiser, Coors and Miller are usually $10 for a 12-pack.
Stuff like widely-available mid-level imports and craft brews, thinks like Heineken, Red Stripe, Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Lagunitas etc. are usually $14-15 for a 12-pack.

So that last group, at $15 for a 12-pack, would be about $1.25/beer, and I never pay for those at that price. I'll only buy that stuff when on sale, usually $12.99 or cheaper if I can find it. And that's for what I consider decent-good beers. I know Dogfish and the like are better or whatever, but it's still personal preference thing that sometimes necessitates justification for the extra money, which isn't always there for me, same as Satch is saying.

When I go to San Francisco though, prices are way worse on average. Pabst and Budweiser are both $13-15 for a twelve pack. Budweiser tall cans (24 oz) are $3, and a 40 oz here in Sac is the same price. You can definitely find places closer to the more reasonable prices I'm used to around here, but you have to look harder or make exceptions for beer you wouldn't normally drink so that you're not spending so much. National grocery stores in the area like Safeway are more reliable for consistently having decent prices, but they're much more rare in the city compared to corner liquor/convenience stores.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:13 pm

oh wow, beer is way cheaper for you guys. I just bought a 12 pack of Budweiser today for my mom and it was like 23 bucks (mind you that was also at a cold beer and wine store, I don't know how much it would be just at a liquor store).
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:00 am

$23 for a 12-pack of Bud? fuck that shit
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:09 am

yeah it's pretty insane? What does beer go for in bars?
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:23 am

Beer in bars is typically around 1-2 dollars depending on if it's draught or bottled. That's for your Buds, Millers, Coors, and PBRs though. Any "craft" brews are going to be 3 bucks and up.

9 bucks is a good price for Dogfish's 4 packs though. I'm assuming it was the 90 Minute IPA? You should spoil yourself; it's really fucking good. It's 9% too, so if you're trying to get drunk, a 4 pack will do you fine.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:37 am

yeah, next time I go out for beer I'll probably pick some up along with La Fin Du Monde and hopefully Rasputin's Russian Imperial Stout. I think it was the 90 minute IPA, but it may have been one of the others with less abv (not that I care too much about that if it tastes good).
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:50 am

I just assumed it was that one because that's their only 4 pack with relatively wide distribution. I just had their "Red and White" and "Burton Baton" last night. Delicious.

La fin du Monde and Old Rasputin are both great.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:13 am

You guys know of the Unibroue brewery? Awesome. They have a lot of good beer.

lol 1-2 dollars for beer in the states. A bottle here is anywhere from 4.75 to 5.25 for domestic. Goes up more for speciality and import.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:46 am

it most likely was the 90 minute IPA then. Also on beeradvocate Racer 5 has a pretty high rating, but all of my friends seem to hate it. Have you had it before?

what's the minimum wage in Canada (I'm assuming that's where you are located)?
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:52 am

8.50 or 9 bucks in BC (I can't remember, it actually might be 8 ). I don't know what it is for the other provinces. I know it's more in Alberta.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:57 am

Hmm. I'm not that familiar with canada with alcohol or money for that matter. I only know a little bit about it's cannabis policies in certain areas.
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:58 am

in cali it's like 6 bucks for a pack of cigs, min wage is 8.50, and I think sales tax is close to 10 percent. Not sure what the numbers are for you guys when it comes to tax or cigarettes.
Back to top Go down
Electroretard

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:12 am

I don't smoke, so I don't know. I think packs of cigs are like 4.50-5 bucks here though.

The only beers I've had from Unibroue are La Fin Du Monde and another one that I don't remember. It was a friend's and he let me have one.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:24 am

I've had 6 from Unibroue I think. Their apple one is really good, I think it's called Ephemeral.

Cigarettes here range from 6.50 - 11+ depending on what you want. Sales tax here is 14% I believe
Back to top Go down
After_The_Barrel_Roll

Character sheet
Name:
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:39 am

why does it sound like canadians have it worse when there's no way that is possible?
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:39 am

Fuck you faggoty-assed gays. BACK ON TOPIC.

Man on Wire is a cool documentary.

Since mockumentaries are included, I'll say every episode of Trailer Park Boys, 'cos that show rocks my cock. Just watched TPB: The Movie, though, and didn't like it nearly as much.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:53 am

Minimum wage in California is $8.00 not $8.50.

Trailer Park Boys is seriously incredibly good. BOTTLE BOYS! I think the movies are actually better than the show, but I've only seen half of both the series and the movies. That being said, mockumentaries should never be included in any type of documentary discussion, so fuck off in that regard.

Speaking of Trailer Park Boys and documentaries, a real life but way more crazy version would be The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia. The people in it are insane, which is why they deserve their own fucking movie.

The trailer's honestly way too Johnny Knoxville/Hank III-ified to the point of being sickeningly slick and corporate, but the film itself is solid.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Recommend me some cool documentaries   Today at 4:53 am

Back to top Go down

Recommend me some cool documentaries
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next