Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:57 am

It's a very rare thing these days. Aesop Rock, Dalek and Kool Keith are just about the only rap acts in the last five years that I've had both anticipation for and satisfaction with, though there have also been a few rare pleasant surprises, like Themselves (Anticon) and Atmosphere's "Look How Much Fun We're Having" and a couple others. But old favorites have either become non-active, played out or washed up--phoning it in or selling out (Kweli and Mos Def and Rawkus in general, Atmosphere and the rest of most of Rhymesayers, Anticon and Def Jux, Sage Francis, Dead Prez, most of Wu-Tang in general, etc.), or who are just plain boring and uninteresting and have gotten stale and stagnant.

One act that got me in a way that Aesop Rock does is this group, Dark Time Sunshine (no surprise I guess that Aesop Rock himself holds them in high regard and is even featured on a track on their newest album which came out last year). Their beats are (at least sometimes) almost like a psych-rock/dark pop outer space trip over a standard but hard hitting drum machine. I heard about them because I saw them open for Busdriver just a little bit ago, and they completely stole the show. Busdriver raps fast, yeah, but I don't give a damn lately. I've been over rap that's simply "pure" or "real" rap just for the sake of being pure or real since after I was 18. You gotta do something different, and do it really well, for me to pay any attention. DARK TIME SUNSHINE

Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:27 am

Old. I had them on my AOTY list.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:28 pm

well I saw them live bitch.

And you should know I haven't cared about rap for a while, so when you or my friends were telling me they were good and to check them out i wasn't paying any attention lol
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:26 pm

lol I just looked at your post and thought it was funny cuz i likened their beats to being like a more upbeat and accessible El-P.

Know anything about that new Cage/Aesop Rock album? I'm imagining that Aesop's positives just can't outweigh Cage's negatives, which is the same assumption I made for Felt3.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:16 am

So I was thinking of this post all day.

I thought you didn't like Anticon stuff. Razz

Haven't heard anything about the Cage/Aesop Rock album.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:20 am

I was an Anticon junkie when I was like 16-18. Shortly after that I started to hate them cuz they were putting out crap and I realized half the stuff from them I thought I liked actually sucked and I was just a dick rider.

And god damnit. Cage, Slug and Murs all suck massive dick. Why does Aesop Rock have to associate himself with them so much Sad
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:53 am

So you like Subtle?
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:02 am

I only heard two of the first four Season EPs, Spring and Winter. Spring was pretty cool, but Winter was just a worthless ambient album. After that, I tried A New White which was at least listenable, but still pretty mediocre I thought. Haven't paid much attention to them since.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:09 am

A New White is good, For Hero: For Fool is really good.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:59 am

it may be, but I doubt I'd like it.

Actually, scratch that--It probably just plain sucks.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:29 am

You should give it a go. I'll upload it for you if you want. That way you don't have to do any work. Tongue
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:58 pm

At most I'll casually meander YouTube for it, honestly. Even then I can't imagine being motivated enough to even do that.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Alright here it is.

Personally I don't think youtube would do the album justice, since the album has a certain atmosphere, 2 part songs and whatnot.

I also wanted to introduce this band to C.Ghost. HEY CGHOST GET YOUR ANGSTY PALE CANADIAN HATIN' ASS IN HERE!!!!11
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:13 am

I'll seriously never click that link honestly, sorry.

Canadian hatin? You got it all wrong!!
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:12 pm

How about Restiform Bodies. Do you like them?
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:25 pm

I'll check it out, thanks Blug
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:26 pm

Since you posted that Sadistik & Kid Called Computer thread I figured you'd be interested in Subtle.
Back to top Go down
Cghost21

Title : Hookers and blow

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:34 pm

I'd never heard of him. I haven't listened to it yet either, but I will. They're similar I take it?

BTW that EP is awesome. If you haven't listened to it, you really should.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:35 am

Subtle's a full band. Six pieces, though I'm not sure about Dax who got hurt in that car accident and whether he's still in the band/replaced or what.

And Restiform Bodies suck dick last time I checked. Though that would be back in like 2003.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:05 am

I haven't heard anything except TV Loves You Back which came out in 2008 and I liked it.

Anticon has the LD on youtube it seems so I could only find a couple of songs. Tongue

Last edited by Hollow_Viscus on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added this video/song!)
Back to top Go down
lotsajoy

Title : InternetSexMonster

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:10 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
It's a very rare thing these days. Aesop Rock, Dalek and Kool Keith are just about the only rap acts in the last five years that I've had both anticipation for and satisfaction with, though there have also been a few rare pleasant surprises, like Themselves (Anticon) and Atmosphere's "Look How Much Fun We're Having" and a couple others. But old favorites have either become non-active, played out or washed up--phoning it in or selling out (Kweli and Mos Def and Rawkus in general, Atmosphere and the rest of most of Rhymesayers, Anticon and Def Jux, Sage Francis, Dead Prez, most of Wu-Tang in general, etc.), or who are just plain boring and uninteresting and have gotten stale and stagnant.

One act that got me in a way that Aesop Rock does is this group, Dark Time Sunshine (no surprise I guess that Aesop Rock himself holds them in high regard and is even featured on a track on their newest album which came out last year). Their beats are (at least sometimes) almost like a psych-rock/dark pop outer space trip over a standard but hard hitting drum machine. I heard about them because I saw them open for Busdriver just a little bit ago, and they completely stole the show. Busdriver raps fast, yeah, but I don't give a damn lately. I've been over rap that's simply "pure" or "real" rap just for the sake of being pure or real since after I was 18. You gotta do something different, and do it really well, for me to pay any attention. DARK TIME SUNSHINE

Well this is interesting. I never heard of DTS until now but I fully approve of them.

I'm a sucker (sucka, yo) for old school rap, by the way. MC Hammer, ABC, Kriss Kross, NWA and yeah, The Mr. T Experience. What ever gets my inner brotha going.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me   Today at 11:12 pm

Back to top Go down

Hip-hop that actually excites and interests me
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1