Share | 

Ugly Americans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Ugly Americans   Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:52 pm

I saw part of this show last night, and wow did it fucking blow. People find shit like this funny? I could tell a bunch of mentally challenged people wrote and drew it.

I mean, Adult Swim cartoons have the same kind of crummy art and animation, but at least some of those shows are funny.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:11 pm

It looked kind of funny from the commercials.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:21 pm

Yeah, show sucks pretty hard. Comedy Central's just always looking for a new cartoon, like maybe as backup for when Matt & Trey are either not profitable or feel like quitting.

It's not as bad as Drawn Together though.
Back to top Go down
Iangorge
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:29 pm

I find Ugly Americans good in the same sense of Futurama, that even if the episode isn't that funny (usually it ranks a 6/10 on the lol-factor) then at least it's still very entertaining.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:34 pm

There's never been an unfunny episode of Futurama (only seen a handful of the new ones though) or one that could rank as low as a7/10. Comparing the two is criminal.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:03 am

That was a very Kurt-ish comparison.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:34 am

I think the problem with Ugly Americans (and you can decide for yourself whether that problem is that I just don't personally like it or if it does indeed suck across the board) is that it's written by Comedy Central writers, who are mostly either lowly comedians or writer's for comedians. That means the show is about a joke and a punchline rather than a plot and character development. The problem there is that the jokes still suck. And I'm sure they want to pat themselves on the dick for making "social commentary" and providing a window to the America we live in and haven't seen before or some bullshit. The show also reeks of being created by executives rather than creative people.

That, and you say that Adult Swim features shows with "crummy art and animation," but at least a fair share of them are distinctive stylistically.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:11 pm

Well, yeah. Aqua Teen wouldn't be what it is without the drawings and crap style of animation. Most of those shows use the poor animation as part of the comedy. I do wish, though, that Venture Bros. had animation that didn't look like it was done in Flash, because the drawings and layouts in that show are pretty good.

I don't know what it is about Ugly Americans. It's unfunny, for one (and I'd say all the reasons you brought up are spot-on); but there's also something...I don't know..."bro-ish" or "fratboy" about it. Like it was written by fratboys who think they're witty and intellectual, but in all truth they're only a step above mental retardation. And what do you know, my "bro"-ish friend I was watching it with laughed a few times and said, "Show's pretty funny, eh?" (He also had the most heinous filters on his TV turned on; we started watching a movie and it looked like a late morning soap opera. I had to convince him to turn that shit off, and he finally did, but noted, "I don't see THAT much of a difference." To me it was night and day, and the motion no longer looked like Family Guy. This wouldn't be worth mentioning except for the fact he thinks he knows a lot about video quality and pretends he knows what he's talking about.)
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Yeah, a lot of people will buy a television because of how long the list of features is and how hard the salesperson pushes those features. Then they want to show it off, regurgitating the sales pitch the Best Buy employee gave to them like they're suddenly an expert. I still hate the 120hz feature as something that "fixes" something that ain't broke. One of the whole purposes and attractive features of film IS motion blur, yet t.v. manufacturers and wholesalers stress it as a feature that makes you see something as it was meant to be seen. I admit, it looks good for most live action HD sports broadcasts and nature shows, as that's is what you're often supposed to see: clear as day, large-format photograph clarity and detail. And I assume it can make some of the newer HD videogames look good, but most newer, especially dramatic television and of course especially every film shot on film ever, it looks atrocious. Added with those filters and you get that horrible "Soap Opera" look you described of terribly bright yet terribly diffused lighting. It's so ugly. Ugly Americans.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:59 pm

I like the effect. I keep it on high for everything I do. I don't even notice it anymore though.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:24 pm

120Hz is shit for movies; even Blu-rays that I own which are of digitally-shot movies look bad with it. It can kind of make games look pretty neat, sometimes, but even then I don't really care for it. Hate it.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:01 am

At least they recognized that it definitely should be a feature that can be toggled on and off, so I'd still call it an advantage to have. The problem lies in that it's sometimes the sole selling point for a television, and always left on, like in Hollow_Vision's case.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:21 am

I think you're the first person to call me that. Tongue
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Ugly Americans   Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:19 pm