Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What are you currently listening to?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:19 pm

Darwin's Waiting Room - Feel So Stupid (Table 9)

-----

CannibalCorpse93 wrote:
~Aimzy~ wrote:
CannibalCorpse93 wrote:
m1:35 wrote:
I'd say Slipknot gets more hate than Trivium.
It's because Metalcore isn't as popular as Nu-Metal.

Pestilence - Out Of The Body
Of course it is, silly. Nu-metal is completely irrelevant today. Metalcore is the 'it' scene.
Nu-Metal has been around (or at least popular) longer than metalcore as far as I can recall in my area.

Drudkh - Everything Unsaid Before

Well here's my perspective on the topic of nu-metal. Nu-metal which was born in the early 90's (in the midst of the grunge movment) and building momentum, until the popularity boom it recieved around 1999-2001. The genre while sort of dying off on the national stage about 2004 (a lot of the popular bands taking different musical directions, underground bands dissapearing), or slipping into a state of stagnation/obscurity. After that you saw the newer wave of metalcore gain a large ammount of popularity, and it from about 2004-06 whitnessed a healthy dose of popularity in the general metal industry, as nu metal slipped into a state of stagnation. Then at some point around 07ish-08 period, deathcore emerged as the more prominent of the core styles sort of putting metalcore more in the backseat, but not out of the picture. I though think, inspite of thise, that people in general may be more familar with some of the more mainstream nu-metal bands like Korn, Slipknot (self-titled, Iowa) [I'm just using these two examples being they are easy examples to use], etc. being they are or in the past were more commerically excessible or were popular under different cricumstances. Nu-Metal was moreso in the spotlight or endorsed by more general mainstream media, and in an essence didn't have as much of an exclusive scene or inide ethic or fanbase. That differs with metalcore in the way that while metalcore and deathcore are popular and probably what is cool to like now that there is a large scene or more of a organized hiearchy involved with the bands, media, outlets, record labels, etc. So both cricumstances are different and people in broad may be more familar with the names Korn or Slipknot (not necessairly understanding the depth of the genre or even the bands in general) as opposed to (insert metalcore) or (insert deathcore) here. In terms of popularity though it depends how you measure it, sure Korn (who aren't nu -metal in their last two albums, even though their upcoming album could be) and Slipknot (who aren't nu-metal anymore) have a lot of fans, but the question is are they as socially acceptable as you liking metalcore/deathcore, in the modern era? Or to take that further if certain nu-metal bands are more popular does that mean the genre is more popular as a whole, or is as looked into as a whole? In the case of Nu-Metal a few bands are commerically recognized, while more underground bands tend to have smaller groups of followers, or really remain unkown outside of a few. Deathcore (and to lesser extents metalcore and post-hardcore) are moreso having their booms of popularity as we speak, while nu metal, has probably past it's peak. I don't consider the genre dead, or any genre to ever be dead (being I think that a misled view to hold, for a number of reasons), it has faded more into obscurity becoming a more fan-centric genre. As opposed to being something that is actively endorsed.

/end rant
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:16 am

Wish For Wings - Deepening Darkened World

That rant was too much for me.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:29 am

Focused - Bow

Yeah, I get out of control with my rants. I meant to put down like two or three sentences and I ended up writing a novel. Razz
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:25 am

Disco was around before and longer than nu-metal. Does that mean disco is more popular or relevant than nu-metal?

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:02 pm

Disco was around before and longer than nu-metal. Does that mean disco is more popular or relevant than nu-metal?
Iím not sure is this is aimed towards me or my statement at all. (or if you were referring to solely CC93ís statement). I'll though give my answer, and take time to sort of clarify where I was going with my first post. As far as the question goes, Iíd say no, but I never claimed nu-metal was more revelant or popular, and full recognize that the genre is past it's peak. My point was more about distungishing the difference between how different types of popularity, that the genres recieved. For example people in broad may be more popular (maybe a better word being more known) with past nu metal bands, like Korn, Slipknot, Disturbed, or bands like Otep and Static-X (that have stuck with the style moreso) in the general spectrum of things, but that doesn't mean the genre is more relevant. People know of the bands more being they are sponsored more by general mainstream media more, whether it be major record labels, MTV airtime (not just MTV2 either, TRL type of stuff), radio play, etc. The genre, in and of itself, though isn't overly relevant, today, while the metalcore/deathcore phad is in full swing, more or less, but really only known to those who have a basic understanding of the particular scene. (being while popular aren't in particular radio friendly) For example if you ask an everyday, average joe, theyíd be more likely to name drop Slipknot as opposed to letís say Bring Me the Horizion, if they were asked about metal. So my point was that it is understandable and somewhat justified to say that particular bands of the (or previously of the) nu-metal genre are better known, and the genre when talking in terms of past culture (like disco) was more relvant (or more people being familiar with it type of way) or more defining in terms of musical history. The genre itself isnít that active today, which was in accordance to the comment CC93 made, and neither is disco. Metalcore/Deathcore like metal in general is more apart from general mainstream culture, even while being the new trends and much more relevant today as a genre. Thatís all I was saying.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : BlŁge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:07 pm

You write too much.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
You write too much.

I know. It's a bad habit of mine. Coffee
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Caliban - I Rape Myself

One of the best songs they've ever made.
Back to top Go down
Iangorge
VIP

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:29 pm

I LOL'd when I saw the huge paragraphs about Disco.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:51 pm

Six Feet Deep - Purify

CannibalCorpse93 wrote:
I LOL'd when I saw the huge paragraphs about Disco.

You should read my 20 page essay on the history of polka music. Razz
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:52 pm

Gojira - 04

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:37 am

Cute Is What We Aim For - Hollywood
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:57 pm

pete. - Is She Coming Up
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Kittie - Kingdom Come

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:08 pm

Orgy - Saving Faces
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:09 pm

Kittie - The Truth

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:12 pm

Orgy - Re-Creation
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:27 pm

All Shall Perish - Awaken The Dreamers

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Iangorge
VIP

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Carnal Decay - Chopping Off The Head
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:17 pm

Kittie - Kingdom Come

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:45 pm

Shadows Fall - My Demise
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:32 am

Thy Art Is Murder - Whore To A Chainsaw

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:08 am

Whitechapel - Messiahbolical

I just want to say that this is one bad ass song.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:11 am

That whole album is pretty bad arse. I love "Possession" though, that'll get the mosh going.

Nile - As He Creates So He Destroys [Instrumental]
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:14 am

I've actually passed up seeing both Whitechapel and Animosity before. I don't think I will do that again.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you currently listening to?   Today at 9:39 am

Back to top Go down

What are you currently listening to?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next