For some reason...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: For some reason...   Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:39 am

I find KSE's latest album to very unique. I've listened to it a few times in my mates car when we've been out and its so much different to any other metalcore band I've listened to. Yeah I know, you're all probably thinking that KSE is shit. I don't find them to be that amazing but their latest offering just sounds so unique and unlike anything i've listened to before. I can't work out why though. Howard Jones does have a fairly different sounding voice compared to most metalcore singers but even the music is different. I'm assuming they write most of their stuff in a different key as opposed to every other metalcore band about. Maybe I'm crazy and its all just generic shit and its only sounding so good and fresh due to my friend having a kick arse sound system in his car.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: For some reason...   Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:45 pm

I can sort of relate to what you are saying. KSE is never a metalcore band I felt to be bad, terrible, etc. I do think they have been able to keep themselves apart from a good ammount of the overtly orthodox metalcore bands, out in the market. I'm not sure I'd say I've heard nothing like them before, in particular aspects, but they are there own band and stand out at what they do. I think Howard Jones and his voice, in particular is a good example (while taking the band in it's modern pretext). That factor alone, really, makes a lot of difference in my mind. I though also think that they are a band who are more clever in their songwriting, which makes a differences throughout their albums. I don't see them as a sterotypical cookie cutter band: screaming, melodic chorus, screaming, melodic chorus type of band. When looking at songs like Breathe Life, and looking at how the music builds up (in a more atypical) around the chorus, and Jones' vocals, the instrumentation, production, etc. was used really, in particular impressed me.

Another example being the song Desperate Times with it's thick chord driven; slower, sombering approach, that is much more of an atmospheric song, than let's say a more typically structured song like Rose of Sharyn. So looking back at both The End of Heartache and As Daylight Dies, despite having some of that choreish typicallness, they really do display some great musicmanship and a sense of uniqness in what they do. Interestingly their older stuff, with the old vocalist, (despite being rawer) tends to be much more typical, structure wise, and ironically a lot of people I've come across (in particular those who dislike core) complain about how they were "so much better" back then. I'm not too familar with their brand new material, outside of Starting Over. On that song,I thought the musicmanship was well done, and I never really thought of it as being cookie cutter. I also enjoyed the vocals and the mellower interludes they had in the song, etc. KSE's melodic parts, and material is always well done, and that is a big reason of me liking them. I may check out the new album more, and see if I agree with you.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: For some reason...   Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:28 pm

I guess saying that I haven't heard anything like them before was pushing it earlier. Just with their new stuff I can't really compare it to anything else that sounds similar with.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For some reason...   Today at 1:00 pm

Back to top Go down

For some reason...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1