The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:24 pm

I tried to mix it up more, this time...

Filter
Alternative - Industrial

http://www.myspace.com/filter1

From lastFM:
Quote :
Filter is an industrial rock group formed in 1993 by Richard Patrick (former live guitarist for Nine Inch Nails) and Brian Liesegang. Filter’s most distinguishing feature is Richard Patrick’s voice, which can soar to quite a high scream - on just about all songs.

Their first album, Short Bus, was released in 1995. The album was successful, and included the hit single “Hey Man, Nice Shot”. The song was somewhat controversial, as it was seen as capitalizing on the public suicide of Budd Dwyer. Kurt Cobain’s suicide was widely rumored to have inspired the song, but the band refuted this. In 1996, Filter recorded and filmed the video for the song “Jurrassitol”, for The Crow: City of Angels soundtrack. They also released the home video Phenomenology in 1996, which showcased some of the band’s live performances and music videos, as well as an interview with Richard Patrick and Brian Liesegang filmed in New Mexico.

Liesegang left in 1997. In 1998, for The X-Files film soundtrack, Filter recorded a cover of Three Dog Night’s ‘One’. Patrick, along with new collaborator Geno Lenardo, continued on with 1999’s Title Of Record, which moved away from industrial rock somewhat, and produced a modest hit with “Take A Picture” (which was used as a song on the Little Nicky soundtrack). Other singles included “Welcome To The Fold”, “The Best Things” and a collaboration with The Crystal Method called “(Can’t You) Trip Like I Do”. That song was based on one of The Crystal Method’s earlier songs, Trip Like I Do, off their album Vegas, and was recorded for the Spawn soundtrack.

2002 saw the release of The Amalgamut, the most notable single being “Where Do We Go From Here”. A new Filter album was in production in 2005 but is understood to have been shelved as a result of Patrick forming Army of Anyone along with the deLeo brothers formerly of Stone Temple Pilots.

In 2008 they are back with a new album titled “Anthems For The Damned” to be released on May 13th.
------------------------
The Reds
Proto-punk – New Wave

http://www.theredsmusic.com/

http://www.myspace.com/TheRedsMusic

From lastFM:
Quote :
This Philadelphia, band’s first album on A&M released in 1979, entitled “The Reds,” is a ferocious attack, total and relentless. It’s textures are dense with electronic chaos brought to the edge of madness, then resolved into piercing clarity. The album showed the band’s most impressive achievement - a sound that blends Rick Shaffer’s guitar and Bruce Cohen’s keyboards into an interestingly textured drone, short guitar and keyboard figures, rising then disappearing back into the drone, while Shaffer’s voice provides the punch and definition for the overall sound. The album was supported with live appearances with such diverse acts as The Police, Joe Jackson, The Psychedelic Furs, and Public Image.

“The Reds” was followed by an A&M released EP featuring The Doors song, “Break On Through,” which suggests some of the band’s roots. After leaving A&M, The Reds went forward with two independent albums, “Stronger Silence” and “Fatal Slide.” These two records continued The Reds sound, receiving critical acclaim internationally, and were supported with extensive tours.

They next recorded a tense and powerful album for Sire/WB entitled, “Shake Appeal,” produced by Mike Thorne (Blur, Soft Cell, Wire). This forcible record led the band to work with director/producer, Michael Mann. Mann incorporated numerous Reds songs into episodes of Miami Vice, and was so impressed with the impact of the songs that he hired Shaffer and Cohen to write songs and score for two motion pictures, “Band of the Hand” (Tri-Star) and “Manhunter” (DeLaurentis), based on the novel “Red Dragon.” Soundtracks from both films are available on MCA. Shaffer and Cohen also contributed a song, “Terror In My Heart,” to the film “Nightmare On Elm Street 2” (New Line), directed by Jack Shoulder.

Solo projects at this time for Bruce Cohen were writing score for the following productions, “Dr Jekyll & Mr. Hyde” and “Down The Road” at Philadelphia’s Walnut Theatre; “The Speckled Band,” starring Quentin Crisp, and Charles Busch’ play, “Vampire Lesbians Of Sodom” for NYC’s Pulse Theatre Company; and a forty minute electronic film noir piece for “Goodbye Johnny Staccato.”

While solo projects for Rick Shaffer included recording guitar tracks on an untitled album with Marianne Faithfull (Island); Hilly Kristal’s, “Mad Mordechai (Stereo Society); Peter Murphy’s, “Holy Smoke” (Beggars Banquet/BMG); and Marc Almond’s, “Fantastic Star” (Some Bizarre/Mercury).

Their next album, entitled, “Cry Tomorrow,” reunited The Reds with British producer Mike Thorne. “Cry Tomorrow” captures the driving intensity of previous albums and the ambient, atmospheric feel from their film scores, resulting in a stark, surreal album, with a sense of mood and mystery. The pulsing opening track, “Terror In My Heart,” the bone crushing title track, “Cry Tomorrow,” the searing non-stop groove of the Stones’ “Gimme Shelter,” the introduction of various percussive elements and a diversity of background vocals, all create an experimental and manic energy that reaches inside your head and won’t let go. The album was originally released by Tarock Music, and re-released on the Stereo Society label.

In 2004 Rick Shaffer was called upon again by director, Michael Mann, to write and record, “Looking For Right,” for the film, “Collateral.”

Their critically acclaimed album, “Fugitives From The Laughing House” (Tarock Music) was released in 2007. Written and produced by The Reds, the ride starts from the street fighting “Wild” and “Little Cisco,” through the hypnotic stroll of “Ringing The Bell” and “Dum Dum Dice” . . . and does not let up until the end with the grinding Dub laced “Gunn’s Suicide,” and slow death burn of “Can’t Bring You Back Again,” which feels like a dying man’s last breath. “Fugitives From The Laughing House” is a straight forward raw nerve reflection of life in America today. In 2008, “Lethal Dose” (track #10) inspired British director, Peter McAdam, to shoot an independent film short, also entitled Lethal Dose.

The Reds February 2009 release, “Early Nothing” (Tarock Music) was also written and produced by Shaffer and Cohen. Created over a period of time to develop a hypnotic quality, that leaves the listener free to let their subconscious play itself out, no matter where it goes, maintaining the simplicity of the moment. If you thought The Reds couldn’t get any heavier or darker . . . . you’ve been warned.

To listen and download songs, read reviews, watch videos, and more, visit THE REDS OFFICIAL WEB SITE at www.TheRedsMusic.com, and visit THE REDS on MySACE at www.myspace.com/TheRedsMusic and become a friend, or follow THE REDS on TWITTER at http://www.twitter.com/TheRedsMusic.

THE REDS (Philadelphia, PA) DISCOGRAPHY
2009 • EARLY NOTHING (TAROCK - USA)
2007 • FUGITIVES FROM THE LAUGHING HOUSE (TAROCK - USA)
2001 • CRY TOMORROW (STEREO SOCIETY - USA)
1992 • CRY TOMORROW (TAROCK - USA)
1986 • MANHUNTER / FILM SOUNDTRACK (MCA - USA)
1986 • BAND OF THE HAND / FILM SOUNDTRACK (MCA - USA)
1986 • WAITING FOR YOU (SINGLE) (MUSIC ACTION - FRANCE)
1985 • SHAKE APPEAL (MUSIC ACTION - FRANCE)
1984 • SHAKE APPEAL (SIRE/WARNER BROS - USA)
1983 • FATAL SLIDE (HELTER SKELTER - ITALY)
1982 • FATAL SLIDE (STONY PLAIN USA & CANADA)
1980 • STRONGER SILENCE (STONY PLAIN - USA & CANADA)
1980 • STRONGER SILENCE (HELTER SKELTER - ITALY)
1980 • STRONGER SILENCE / EP (AMBITION - USA)
1980 • PROPAGANDA (A&M - USA)
1979 • THE REDS / EP (A&M - USA)
1979 • WHATCHA’ DOIN’ TO ME (SINGLE) (A&M - USA)
1979 • WHATCHA’ DOIN’ TO ME (GREEN VINYL) (A&M - UK)
1979 • JOEY & VICTIMS (SINGLE) (A&M - USA)
1979 • THE REDS (GREEN VINYL) (A&M - USA)
1979 • SELF REDUCTION / VICTIMS (SINGLE) (EKE - USA)
1977 • JOEY & AUTOMATIC BOY (SINGLE) (GO GO - USA)
-----------------

Charlee
Blues rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhKg1TTscQc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiJmy-Z13hE&feature=related

From lastFM:

Quote :
A Progressive Rock band from the early 1970’s.
----------------------

Leslie West
Blues Rock

He’s from the popular band Mountain, but not many regard his solo project.

Quote :
Lead guitarist from Mountain, heavy rock band from USA. Leslie has released a number of solo albums and is highly respected for his guitar work.

As Phat as it Gets, fully streamable:
http://www.last.fm/music/Leslie+West/As+Phat+as+It+Gets

A cover song, I enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crwZNBTN6qQ
---------------------------
The Apex Theory
Alternative - Progressive - Nu Metal

Topsy Turvy, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/The+Apex+Theory/Topsy+Turvy

Random Bursts, somewhat streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/The+Apex+Theory/Random+Bursts

From lastFM:
Quote :
Formed in 1999, The Apex Theory began as a local act not interested in being signed, only to have numerous labels contact them due to word of mouth. Three of the original band members (former vocalist Ontronik “Andy” Khatchaturian, bassist David Hakopyan and guitarist and current vocalist Art Karamian) are Armenian by heritage.

In 2000 the band released an independent EP entitled Extendemo, which resulted in their signing to Dreamworks Records in early 2001. Shortly thereafter, the band entered the studio with Don Gilmore (whose credits include the likes of Linkin Park, Velvet Revolver and Avril Lavigne), who produced their self-titled major-label debut EP, and their full-length debut, Topsy-Turvy, which were released on October 9, 2001 and April 2, 2002, respectively. The band’s first (and only) singles, “Shhh… (Hope Diggy)” and “Apossibly” garnered the band mainstream success as both were featured extensively in MTV2’s rotation. “Apossibly” was also used in promotion of the videogame Minority Report: Everybody Runs.

The band toured for a good portion of the next few years in support of their major-label albums, first playing Vans Warped Tour and co-headlining MTV2’s Tour with Lostprophets in 2001. In the summer of 2002, the band played on the second stage of Ozzfest.

Later in 2002, vocalist Ontronik “Andy” Khachaturian (who previously played drums for System of a Down before founding The Apex Theory) left the band due to differences in musical opinions. Khachaturian is currently involved in a solo project and a band dubbed VoKEE. After searching for a replacement, the remaining members decided to continue as a three-piece outfit, with guitarist Art Karamian taking responsibility for vocal duties as well.

The Apex Theory officially resurfaced in 2004, self-releasing their latest EP, inthatskyissomethingwatching. Though the band has not embarked on a national tour as of yet, they have successfully played countless shows in their home state of California.

On June 30, 2006, the band announced the completion of their first full-length album without their former vocalist, Ontronik. The album was titled Faces, and was released under the band name Mt. Helium.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:54 pm

Hey man Everyone has heard of Filter. They only play their song on every other commercial ever made. Tongue
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
Hey man Everyone has heard of Filter. They only play their song on every other commercial ever made. Tongue

Yeah I might have been streching it with Filter. I didn't know they were so popular until I looked more cloesly at the lastFM page and saw 269,166 listeners and 284 shouts.

Well I guess this thread pretty much sucks anyways. Razz
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:14 pm

I'll check out all the other bands you've posted when I get home. It'll take forever trying to check them all out here at uni whilst on their wireless. I could do with some new nu metal.
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:20 pm

Was skimming the thread, and yeah, Filter is quite popular. They were pretty big back in the day.

Though I don't think I've ever heard a single song of theirs, lol.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:56 pm

Abnormal Freak wrote:
Was skimming the thread, and yeah, Filter is quite popular. They were pretty big back in the day.

Though I don't think I've ever heard a single song of theirs, lol.

Not even this one?

Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:41 pm

Yeah really. Didn't you watch MTV back in the day, or at least see Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight?
Back to top Go down
Abnormal Freak
VIP

Title : hoardin' up

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:07 pm

We really only had cable TV when I was really young, and I was forbidden from watching MTV. D:
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 pm

And you turned out so well for it.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:55 pm

Green_shoes wrote:
I'll check out all the other bands you've posted when I get home. It'll take forever trying to check them all out here at uni whilst on their wireless. I could do with some new nu metal.

Good to hear. If you're looking to build a base in nu metal I'd first of all build up a base by checking out Nothingface, Element Eighty, and American Head Charge, if you haven't already. Those are great starter bands.

Milkweed, at least the stuff I linked to the thread tends to be very wierd and not as much nu metal as their earlier stuff. So you may want to save that for last, hehe. I'll post some more nu metal bands up, in a bit as well to reinforce the already mentioned.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:28 pm

Some more stuff...

Skrape
Nu Metal

New Killer America, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Skrape/New+Killer+America

Up The Dose, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Skrape/Up+The+Dose

Taken from lastFM:
Quote :
Skrape was a band from Orlando Florida. Formed in the 1990’s, they toured the United States and Asia extensively. During their run, Skrape released two albums with RCA records. Their debut album, New Killer America was released in 2001 with two singles (“Waste” and “Isolated”) eventually hitting the airwaves across america. Skrape toured with the likes of Pantera, Slayer, and Morbid Angel in support of the album. Their sophmore album, Up the Dose, was released in 2004 again on RCA records, however it received little to no promotion. Several months after releasing the record, Skrape was dropped and rather than writing another new album they decided to part ways. The band members remained and went onto other musical ventures.

Band members:
Billy Keeton - Lead Vocals
Will Hunt - Drums, Backing Vocals (Joined Dark New Day)
Brix Milner - Guitar, Programming (spent time in Dope)
Pete Sison - Bass
Randy Melsner - Guitar (Up the Dose era)
Mike Lynchard - Guitar (New Killer America era)
------------------------

Zeromind
Nu Metal/Rapcore

What's In Your Mind, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Zeromind/What%27s+in+Your+Mind

Taken from lastFM:
Quote :
Zeromind is a Soul/Rap/Metal fusion band from South San Francisco, CA. Started in the early 90’s under many different names including Vile and Ninth Lane, they have gone on to become one of the Bay Area’s best metal bands. Currently they have been touring Japan and gathering quite a following. Current members are Grim, Erik, Shane, Dan, mark and Leo.
--------------------------

Darwin's Waiting Room
Rapcore/Nu Metal

*I'm a pretty big fan of these guys in particular. So if you know me, chances are you probably already know about this band's existence at the very least. Razz

Orphan, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Darwin%27s+Waiting+Room/Orphan

Quote :
Darwin’s Waiting Room released their debut album ‘Orphan’ in 2001. They are closely associated with Nonpoint and Jason Bieler produced their album in 2001.

January 1, 2000. That is when, for all intents and purposes, Darwin’s Waiting Room came into existence. It’s an appropriate date, for Darwin’s Waiting Room — called “rock’s secret gem” by MTV News — is a band that’s tailor-made for the turn of the millennium, an explosive force of nature that combines five different personalities and a crazy quilt of musical influences to create a sound that’s totally new and forward-looking.

“Everyone in the band is influenced by different styles of music,” says emcee Grimm, one of the two human whirlwinds that front the band. “But whenever I’m asked, ‘what are your influences,’ I think it’s each other. Just working and interacting and vibing off each other. I think the diverse stylings and personalities of each person come together and that’s why we have such a different sound.”

The sound of Darwin’s Waiting Room a raw, unclassifiable, pulsing fusion of hip-hop rhymes, monster rhythmic grooves, crunching riffs, and moments of stark melody — was incubated in Miami, Florida, a city associated with rock like Seattle is associated with sunshine. “The club scene in Miami for rock music has never been that strong, in my opinion,” says Grimm. “I think a lot of our success comes from an underground kind of appeal. It’s word-of-mouth kids telling other kids and so on. A band can succeed there, but it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. You really have to believe in yourself and what you’re doing.”

Inking with MCA Records following a showcase at the fabled Miami rock club the Chili Pepper, Darwin’s Waiting Room convened in the studio with producer Jason Bieler, recently behind the board for the debut album from fellow South Florida upstarts Nonpoint. “Jason was the best guy for the job because he knew the band well, and he knew exactly what to get from each one of us,” says Grimm. “He knew the expectations, personalities, and talent level of every guy in the band, whereas if we went to somebody who didn’t know the band well enough, I don’t think he would have gotten what Jason got.”

The result of what the band calls both an awesome and stressful experience is Orphan, an album whose title alone is infused with meaning far beyond the norm. “For us, because we think that the style we have is pretty different and unique, and doesn’t sound like the other bands out there, so we’re orphaned in that regard. A lot of the song topics on the album are sort of linked to the title as well. They reflect the way that a lot of kids out there feel left out, set aside, or alone. There’s a communication that’s been lost, so a lot of them feel alienated. So Orphan definitely describes that.”

Grimm who endured what he calls a “rocky” relationship with his father speaks from personal experience as well, most eloquently on a track called “Sometimes It Happens Like This.” “My folks got divorced when I was six months old and I was raised by my mom, so I never had that tight, father-son relationship that a lot of kids have,” recalls the emcee. “A lot of kids don’t have that either that whole go-to-the-park-and-play-ball, father-son bonding thing wasn’t really there. Most of the time, I felt that I was being passed over or ignored, not being given the attention I wanted, so that’s where a lot of that came from.”

Other tunes, like first single “Feel So Stupid (Table 9)” and “All I Have Is Me,” deal with relationships or the loss thereof, while “Live For The Moment” acknowledges the fragility of life itself, and the speed at which time passes. “You’re always told that you have to think about your future, you have to think about tomorrow, and you have to think about what you’re gonna do with your life. A lot of people forget about the fact that they’re alive now, and there are things they can do and enjoy now. You don’t know what’s coming; you don’t know if there’s gonna be a tomorrow, so why not live for the moment and enjoy the life that you have and the people around you today.”

Astute observations from a band whose goal is to rise above the rapcore fray and whose mantra is “evolve or dissolve,” and whose very name is a slang term for the stereotypical image of the South as a place populated by the slow and backward. “We’ve always wanted to create music that’s different, constantly evolving and changing, and never staying stagnant, so we figured the name would be great because we’re always trying to evolve and change and create something new, and do something with music that hasn’t been done before.”

Grimm - emcee
Jabe - vocals
Eddie The Kydd - guitar
Alex Cando - bass
Joe Perrone - drums

No One
Nu Metal

http://www.myspace.com/noonemusic1

Taken from lastFM:
Quote :
No One was a four-piece nu metal music group from Chicago in the United States.

They started in 1994 known with the name Black Talon. They played at the Ozzfest Tour in 2001, appearing on the second stage. They also performed along such bands as System of a Down, Slipknot and Mudvayne in the Pledge of Allegiance Tour.

They released their one and only album, the self-titled No One on August 14, 2001 via Immortal Records.

Discography:

* No One (2001)

Unloco
Nu Metal

http://www.myspace.com/unloco48897

Taken from lastFM:

Quote :
Ünloco was a nu metal band hailing from Texas, USA. The band was formed in 2000 by frontman Joey Duenas.

The band’s first album Healing struggled to sell, and the band received little support from their label Maverick Records.

Ultimately, Maverick gave them a second chance and they recorded their second album Becoming i in 2003. This time, the label supported them and got them touring with big name bands such as Korn and Disturbed. They also appeared at Ozzfest 2003. The album was produced by Andrew Murdock, responsible for gay, Godsmack and Chimaira among other artists. Even with a more focussed sound and better production, Becoming i failed to sell, and the band split up that same year.

Since then, guitarist Marc Serrano (who was recruited for the second album) joined the now departed metalcore group A Dozen Furies, vocalist Joey Duenas formed a band called A New Revolution (featuring members from Slaves On Dope), and Pete Navarrete formed a band called Exit The Sun.

Last edited by -Orange9mm- on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:31 am

Some additional helpful resources on nu-metal, from my forum (which would save from an over abundance of future posts on exclusively nu metal, and such on the subject):

List of bands (in progress)

http://numetalunderground.forumotion.net/nu-metal-f2/the-official-nu-alternative-rap-metal-bandlist-t79.htm

(I don't agree with all of the bands, being classified as nu metal, that were posted on the list, but most of them are. There are some good finds on here)

Some additional sampling, and such, taste testing thread: http://numetalunderground.forumotion.net/nu-metal-f2/nu-metal-taste-testing-streams-t21.htm

Some easy downloads (well there may be some more demo-ish, unreleased, and independent released stuff but there are some albums, and such in there for testing, not all included in the thread are technically nu metal either ): http://numetalunderground.forumotion.net/nu-metal-f2/nu-metal-distribution-downloads-t10.htm
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:32 am

Heard of Skrape, DWW, and Unloco
Back to top Go down
Iangorge
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:27 pm

This was actually the first CD I ever got. (My mother gave it to me)
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:43 pm

My second attempt, at making a post with variety. This time I focused moreso on the progressive musical, perspective, this time around.

Blocco Mentale
Progressive Rock

Entire Poa album, thanks to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=2C98831F00BD8F50

From lastFM:
Quote :
A minor band from near Viterbo, Blocco Mentale only released an album, called Poa (a greek word written on the cover in greek letters, it means “grass”) in 1973 and soon disappeared after a later single.

As introduced by its title, the seven-track album deals with ecology, lyrics are about pollution, nature, flowers and green grass, sometime with a very naive language typical of the time.

Musically the album has some very interesting moments, but veers toward pop at times. The group has some multivocal parts similar to New Trolls, as all the members are credited with vocals.
A good album but not at the same level of many others in that great 1973.

The band broke up after a more melodic single, L’amore muore a vent’anni, released after the album, but reformed later with the name Limousine.
The new group, more commercially styled, won some important music contests in 1978 and 1979, producing a couple of singles.
Singer/sax player Bernardo Finocchi issued in 1980 under the name Bernardo Lafonte the 4-track mini-LP Sei proprio tu (Lettera A AQ122, with help from Michele Arena, Aldo Angeletti and Filippo Lazzari), and with the same name, along with his wife Francesca Lotà, some religious-inspired records.
Keyboardist Filippo Lazzari died in a road accident in 1991.

SBB
Progressive Rock

http://www.myspace.com/sbbwelcome

Additional song, http://www.last.fm/music/SBB/The+Rock

From lastFM:
Quote :
SBB (first known as Silesian Blues Band, later as Szukaj, Burz, Buduj – Polish for “Search, Break up, Build”) Polish progressive rock band formed in 1971 in Siemianowice, Poland, by Józef Skrzek, multi-instrumentalist and vocalist, guitarist Apostolis Anthimos - son of greek emmigrants and drummer Jerzy Piotrowski.

Already in 1972 they performed with Czesław Niemen at the Jazz & Rock Now opening show for the Olympic Games in Munich, where they played next to John McLaughlin’s Mahavishnu Orchestra and Charles Mingus’ Dynasty. SBB was one of the front runners in the development of what was later called jazzrock or fusion along with Weather Report, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, John McLaughlin and Miles Davis. SBB was one of the most popular super-groups of the seventies in Poland, Czechoslovakia, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Switzerland, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, the Netherlands, Belgium… They filled sport arenas, but performed mostly in clubs.
Many jazz musicians - among them Don Cherry, Tomasz Stańko, Tomasz Szukalski, Andrzej Przybielski, to name a few, joined SBB shows to play together with them.

The band split up in 1980 but was briefly re-activated in 1991, 1993, 1998 and finally in 2000. Later they also performed in Russia, Mexico, Canada and the United States (with former Pat Metheny Group’s drummer - Paul Wertico).
-----------------------

Greenslade
Progressive Rock

Self-titled, fully streamable: http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.artistalbums&artistid=14011157&ap=0&albumid=8271289

Bedside Manners are Extra, fully streamable: http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.artistalbums&artistid=14011157&ap=0&albumid=8055961

From lastFM:
Quote :
Greenslade is an English progressive rock band

Originally formed in 1972 with the following lineup:

* Dave Greenslade, keyboards & vocals
* Tony Reeves, bass
* Dave Lawson, keyboards & vocals
* Andrew McCulloch, drums

Greenslade and Reeves had been original members of Colosseum. Lawson was previously a member of Samurai and McCulloch was briefly a member of King Crimson, playing drums on that band’s third album, “Lizard” (1970). Dave Clempson (ex Humble Pie and Colosseum) guests on Greenslade’s third album, playing guitar on 2 tracks. Reeves left around that time and was replaced on the US tour and subsequent 4th album, “Time And Tide”, by Martin Briley who also contributed on guitar.

Greenslade announced their disbandment in 1976. However, in 2000, Dave Greenslade and Tony Reeves teamed up with drummer John Trotter and vocalist/keyboardist John Young and recorded a new Greenslade studio album: “Large Afternoon”. A tour soon followed and this was recorded and subsequently released in 2002, “Greenslade 2001 - Live: The Full Edition”.

There are rumours in late 2007 of Dave Greenslade and Tony Reeves collaborating on a new album which apparently has some quite remarkable material…
----------------------
Grade 8
Nu Metal – Rapcore

http://www.myspace.com/grade8

Some youtube videos: (couldn’t find anything prominent off the self-titled album, which has a tendency to differ from Resurrection era.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUuEl8I9LQ4&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XY8nMZm_i8&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4qe1QqS7SE&feature=related

From lastFM:
Quote :
Dustin and Ryan Tooker planted the seeds of what would become grade 8 in the mid 90s, in their home state of New Jersey. Ryan was a last minute choice to fill in on vocals for guitarist Dustins then band. Their natural chemistry worked well and they continued playing over the next few years with various rhythm sections. The brothers then moved to Southern California where their charisma and work ethic impressed those they met, eventually leading to a record deal with Lava / Atlantic. They worked various interesting jobs in the entertainment industry in their spare time, knowing that once their professional music career began, there would be no turning back.

As they created their self titled debut, a new rhythm section was formed and the band prepared to tour. Grade8 proved themselves an intense live force touring with Mudvayne, The Murderdolls, Anthrax and the Ozzfest. It was on that final tour that the tenacity of Dustin and Ryan caught the attention of their peers. When business issues nearly forced the band off the tour, they fought back by riding with other bands and borrowing equipment, refusing to quit.

After that victory of will, they found themselves in another rough spot. The single Brick by Brick had reached .1 on the college rock charts and tracks were appearing in high profile video games and television series, such as True Crime: Streets of LA and The Sopranos, but they once again found themselves searching for a bassist and drummer to provide the key rhythmic assault. Then an amazing opportunity presented itself: a new manager willing to relocate the brothers to Las Vegas, where they would be able to regroup and prepare to begin the battle for survival anew. The necessary elements came together with preternatural speed.

Stitch had been playing bass in Los Angeles for several years. Since moving from Ohio he had put in hard time with several promising bands. Unfortunately acts of fate kept these projects from reaching fruition. Those experiences did, however, give him the opportunity to hone his skills: in song craft and in mediating the personality clashes that occur in any band situation. The Tookers knew him through Paige Haley, and after viewing his vicious stage presence, he was also pulled to sin city.

The four musicians moved into a secluded house in a desert area, building Fight Club style bunks to sleep in. They worked on new material for hours every day in the shed they shared with black widows and scorpions. At night they explored Americas largest adult playground. Several months later they had created the songs that comprise their forthcoming record, Resurrection. Tightly wound tales of desire, adversity, and victory that ooze with the hunger and drive of those that refuse to succumb. From the unstoppable raw thrust of the title track to the eerie ghost town vibe of Ignore, grade8 present a dynamic blend of textured rock. Fallen Angel is highlighted by Dustins creative use of guitar effects and Joshs unstoppable double kick technique. Ryans growth as a vocalist is readily apparent on Fighting Me, exploring more melodic territory while retaining the power and flow of previous material. Stitch and Josh form an ultra tight unit, whether laying back into a groove or launching a thrash attack. This wall of sound is complimented by solid songwriting and the lust of those who have fought to survive and demand to thrive.
------------------
Reveille
Rapcore – Nu Metal

http://www.myspace.com/reveilleband (fan page)

Some youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytj1TY4VP1w

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h3D7XgJA7s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY7p3a_PpgU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP4YwR6Ll3M&feature=related

From lastFM:
Quote :
Reveille were a nu-metal band from Harvard, Massachusetts. They were formed in 1998, and released their debut album, Laced, in 1999, on Elektra Records. The band played Woodstock 1999 and Ozzfest 2000, and toured with Godsmack, Machine Head, and gay. In 2001, they released their follow-up album, Bleed The Sky. In 2002, original guitarist Greg Sullivan left Reveille, and was replaced by Chris Turner. Unfortunately, Reveille broke up in 2003, before they could finish their third album. In the middle of 2007 they returned, known better under the name Genuflect and made one album called “The End Of The World”.
---------------------
Osanna
Progressive Rock

http://www.myspace.com/osannamusic

From lastFM:
Quote :
Osanna were a ’70s Italian psychedelic rock/progressive band, but they are still active, featuring almost the same lineup, with the addition of Lino’s son.

They made the soundtrack for the film Milano Calibro 9. Their album Palepoli is regarded as one of the finest hours of the Italian progressive rock movement.

Osanna was formed in 1971. The band was then composed of Danilo Rustici (guitar), Lino Vairetti (vocals), Lello Brandi (bass) and Massimo Guarino (drums). All these musicians come from the band Citta Frontale. There was also Elio D’Anna who came from the band Showmen.

They are going to release a new album soon, featuring a notable list of guest stars.

-----------------

Also some older Milkweed, to add on to the post on the band awhile back. The more nu metalish stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyNiVHjgJw4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lc7y1T_Cdw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXAUbAlqjOo&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Cghost
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:03 am

I knew of all of those, quit being such a presumptious cock
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:35 am

Cghost wrote:
I knew of all of those, quit being such a presumptious cock

No you. Talk Hand

Seriously though, the point of this thread, wasn't about "who knew" what, etc,. The expression of "nobody knows" was just meant to signifiy under-appreciated artists, that pratically nobody knows. Not to say I know more, about this or know more bands in this genre, etc. Perhaps the title was admittedly smug, I didn't mean to be smug, it just came off bad, and I regret it and tried to clairfy on that more. I though didn't have any alterior motive(s) or meant this thread to be some type of ego thing, for me though. If you know them all, that's perfectly fine.
Back to top Go down
Cghost
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:12 am

Don't lie, you said 'nobody knows' to make your e-penis feel bigger
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:44 am

Cghost wrote:
Don't lie, you said 'nobody knows' to make your e-penis feel bigger

No, it wasn't about that. I won't lie I am proud of what I listen too, and I admittedly have made mistakes in making this thread. An example, being focusing so much on nu metal, and being a fan boy, seemingly just throwing other random stuff in to give the appearance moreso of variety, while whoring off of nu metal, and doing I suppose a very avergish job at it (if not below avergish). I wasn't also happy where the "nobody but me has heard of these" thread title position put me in, either, it did serve as ultimately counter-productive and restrictive, and limited my overall thread. So I really did screw myself in the deal, in a couple of ways, I though wasn't in it for personal pride, it was about the music. I though should of thought the concept out more, instead of just rushing to post something, so to speak. I won't argue about it, think what you will. I was just planning on letting the thread die , after putting the last post up (which was meant to draw attention away from the Filter, botch up, and include some of my favorite artists; Reveille and Grade 8, I forgot or failed to mention (and of which aren't typically well known outside of nu metal or rapcore cricles. Along with some more progressive rcok stuff I like, to add a better sense of variety, and of which isn't terribly well known either.. Just a loose ends type of post and try to make the thread a bit less embarrasing.
Back to top Go down
Cghost
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:10 pm

you're respawneddemon's alt aren't you
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:58 pm

Cghost wrote:

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:14 pm

Cghost wrote:

Respawneddemon likes good music so this can't be an alt. monkey
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:23 pm

Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Today at 12:41 pm

Back to top Go down

Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2