The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Share | 

Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:58 pm

I guess I woke up and decided to make a thread of my own. Basically for this thread, I'll list bands I am a fan of, that nobody has really heard of or who have been over-looked, and basically post them up with additional information about them etc. I'll in time post more bands up, from various genres, and further expand on this thread. I just figured I'd post a couple bands up, to start with for the time being. I also don't mean literally nobody else has heard of these, it's just an expression of speech.

----------

DragPipe
Metal – Nu Metal

http://www.myspace.com/officialdragpipe

Official, myspace page, which a couple songs by the bands, a video or two, and a bit of information on the now defunct project. In particular I’d focus primarily on Quest in Time, The Cruise, and Seeds of Change, off their album. My personal favorite by the band is the song Seeds of Change; it’s really a nice melodic song. The myspace page has some additional rarities, and unreleased tracks such as, Let It Go and Float To Get Numb.

Taken from lastFM:
Quote :
Roaring out of the East Coast metal underground, DragPipe harnesses the fuzzed-out fury of stoner rock and the grinding aggression of sludge metal and combines it into one streamlined force of sound. The band’s unique sound comes from their three-guitarist assault, as well as the gruff vocals of Jai Diablo and thunderous drumming of Pete Barrera. Formed in Union City, New Jersey, the band played the local scene and gained a strong enough buzz to get the attention of Interscope Records. Signed in 2001, the band stepped into the studio after doing material with metal luminaries Twiggy Ramirez and Jason Newsted and recorded Music For the Last Day of Your Life. The album came out in the summer of 2002 and was followed by a European tour with Filter.

Entire album, streamable here: http://www.last.fm/music/DragPipe/Music+for+the+Last+Day+of+Your+Life

-----------

Boiler (US)
Metal – Nu Metal - Hardcore

http://www.amazon.com/New-Professionals-Industrial-Slammitude-Groovination/dp/B000024ARQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1250872293&sr=1-1

The above link, has samples, reviews and is an outlet to buy The New Professionals which you can purchase relatively cheap. The samples will give you a good idea of what the band is like in general.

http://www.myspace.com/boilerny

This is a fan page, dedicated to the band has info on the band, and some full songs ready to sample, along with videos, pictures, etc.

Pantera cover song: http://www.last.fm/music/Boiler/_/Mouth+for+War

Taken from lastFM:
Quote :
Boiler was an hardcore influenced nu-metal/alternative metal band which was concieved in the early 90’s, residing from Ithaca, NY. The band, was initally a side project consisting of Will Price, and Marc Mays who were room mates, that began experimenting during jam sessions. Both Marc and Will were involved in different projects at the time, but when they included J. Harman as the third man in their jam session, they being satisfied with the chemistry and sound, agreed to work on this project. During the November of 1994, Boiler, was born.

As they began producing demos, Boiler soon realized that the band was much more successful than they have ever anticipated. In light of the of the positive reception, the band, were inspired more than ever to continue on, and perfect their “dirtcore” sound, as they called it. Their work was not in vein, eventually attracting the interest of Mayhem Records, and thus signing a deal. This led to their first full length release “The New Professionals - Rules for Industrial Slammitude and Groovination” in April 1998.

Response to the CD was very positive, and the band saw a surge of support. Notably, within the aftermath of the first album, the band’s songs “Roswall” and “Frontin” were featured on the Beavis and Butthead “Do U” video game. Howard Stern was also known for playing clips of the song “Frontin” on his highly acclaimed radio show. In the year after the release, the trio, embarked on a massive touring schedule playing along side acts such as Crowbar, Backstreet Law, and Deist Requim. During this time the band began to further build a healthy fanbase. Furthermore, Boiler was also a part of the prestigious Milwaukee Metal Fest and The Cleveland World Series of Metal in 1998 and 1999, respectively. They served as an opening for major acts such as Bad Religion, BioHazard, Pro-Pain, Testament, Pissing Razors, Stuck Mojo, Dio, Blue Oyster Cult, etc. They during this time covered Pantera’s “Mouth of War” which found its way on the Pantera cover album, called Panther.

In January 2000, Marc decided to leave Boiler to pursue other ventures within his life. With J. and Will still dedicated making the band work, enlisted new member Brian Robarge, who filled in on the guitarist/vocalist duties.On January 17th, the new Boiler was formed, the band’s second reincarnation. Subsequently, Boiler, released the EP dubbed “YEE-HAW!!!” in June 2000 (which is noted with the distinction of being the last release with Marc on it). The album featured the band’s trademark groove laden “dirtcore”, and as an extra bonus included the band’s cover of “Mouth of War”, by Pantera.

In 2002, they released their final album “Cow Tipping in C Sharp” was released. This marked the end of the Boiler.

------------

Orange 9MM
Rapcore - Post Hardcore

http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.artistalbums&artistid=14165889&ap=0&albumid=8172864

The above is a streamable version of the entire, Driver Not Included album.

Taken from wikipedia:
Quote :
Chaka Malik and Chris Traynor began writing songs together in 1992, releasing an EP in 1994 on Revelation Records. The line-up for this recording included Larry Gorman on drums and Eric Thrice on bass.
Following the departure of Thrice to play bass for H2O, Davide Gentile joined the band, and soon after, Detroit native Matthew Cross took over on drums. With this line-up, they began writing material for their 1995 major label release Driver Not Included on East West Records (a subsidiary of Elektra Records). The album was recorded in Los Angeles with Dave Jerden (Alice in Chains, Jane's Addiction) producing. Additional songs, "Magnet," "Suspect," and a re-recording of "Can't Decide" from the Revelation EP were later recorded in New York.
Following the release of Driver Not Included, Orange 9mm toured the US with Helmet, Quicksand, Korn, and Deftones; they were also featured on the first Airwalk Sno-Core Tour. Later, they toured Europe with Biohazard, and were on the bill for three shows with The Offspring.
With shifts and mergers occurring in Warner Music Group (the parent company of Elektra and Atlantic), Orange 9mm moved to Atlantic Records. During the writing sessions for what would become their second full-length, Davide Gentile left the band to pursue audio engineering. Orange 9mm's second full-length, Tragic, was recorded in New York City, with Dave Sardy (Barkmarket, Helmet, Marilyn Manson) producing. For these sessions, Chris Traynor played bass. At the end of the intitial recording sessions for Tragic, Taylor McLam joined the band on bass (McLam played drums in Traynor's previous band, Fountainhead). On the first day of rehearsals, McLam offered one of his own compositions, which became the minor hit "Failure." The song was recorded immediately, and included on Tragic.
Two weeks prior to the first tour to promote Tragic, Chris Traynor left Orange 9mm to play second guitar for the seminal New York band Helmet. The band recruited former Supertouch bassist Chris Vitali to take over on bass, and McLam was moved to guitar.
In support of Tragic, the band toured the U.S. with artists including The Misfits, Deftones, Sick of it All, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Local H, and Clutch, among others, including headlining runs and one-offs with the Sisters of Mercy and Type O Negative.
Struggling both for real support from the label, and from not fitting neatly into an established commercial niche, Orange 9mm was released from its contract with Atlantic following the Tragic tour cycle. For the next three years, Orange 9mm would write and record a great deal of material under a wide range of influences. Periodically, the band would perform one-offs and small weekend runs; during this period they released a split EP in Japan and did a week's worth of shows in that country.
Midway through this creative process, Orange 9mm released a five-song EP, Ultraman vs. Godzilla, with Ng Records. The fit between the band and the label seemed a good one; Orange 9mm was given a great deal of room to work on material, and new songs and new sessions kept coming. Over 15 new songs were recorded in the summer of 1998 in the basement of Taylor's Long Island home, and for a few months this material was assumed to be the foundation of the next record. The music was raw and experimental, incorporating more progressive rhythms, more percussion, and 70s-era synths and electric pianos. However, the only piece from these sessions to be finalized and released was the song that became "Alien," which would appear on their third full-length, 1999's Pretend I'm Human. Soon after, bassist Chris Vitali left the band to pursue other interests. Again a three-piece, Malik, McLam, and Cross continued writing.
Now working in the basement of Ng studios on New York City's lower east side, the three refocused and redirected their creative energy by reducing new material to its barest elements. New songs were far more stripped down and refined, yet sounded larger than anything the band had done previously.
Five songs were quickly recorded with legendary hardcore producer Don Fury at Fury Studios on Spring Street. These included "Pretend I'm Human" and "Tightrope," which would also appear on Pretend I'm Human.
When it came time to record what would become Pretend I'm Human, Orange 9mm moved to California in the late winter of 1998/early spring of 1999 to work with producer Neil Perry. Much of the material that appeared on Pretend I'm Human was written in the studio. Typically, the band would arrive at the studio in the morning, have breakfast and coffee, and as a band listen to music, either something created the day before or to a CD. Rush, Jay-Z and Miles Davis were on regular rotation. The band spent the morning and early afternoon writing in the studio and by afternoon would lay down the basic tracks for the song.
The end result was a real departure in many ways from their previous work. Gone was the haphazard, almost rushed feel of their early work, replaced with a new focus and with production that allowed the full range of sound to come through. There was of course a trade-off here; many Orange 9mm fans appreciated the frantic pace and tone of previous records, while the band found the creative process incredibly rewarding.
In the interim between finishing the recording of Pretend I'm Human and beginning to tour once again, a new line-up was solidified. Alex Bongiorno, who'd played with Cross in Detroit during the early 90s (the two would play again later in the Detroit industrial band Firewerk), played second guitar briefly; the slot was eventually filled by Dan Spellman, and bass duties were assumed by Greg "Bass" Eckelman, formerly of Ng labelmates The Phoids. The addition of a second guitar was crucial for the new material, and added to their previous material.

----------------

Eastcide
Nu Metal – Hardcore – Rapcore

http://www.myspace.com/eastcide57

Entire album “Everyone’s Walking Away” up for streaming: http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.artistalbums&artistid=18035616&ap=0&albumid=10392187

Has samples of mentioned album, along with available download purchase from amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Everybodys-Walking-Away-Eastcide/dp/B00001NFH4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251317687&sr=1-1

Samples, etc. info for self-titled:
http://www.amazon.com/Eastcide/dp/B000CAF0X0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1251317687&sr=1-2

Cool live video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA54J_wu7q4

Taken from LastFM: (also note I realize that this is a biased account taken from the past context/pretext, but again I couldn't find any other description really)
Quote :
Eastcide formed in the mid 90’s, breaking the mold indefinitely with their heavy sound and undeniable groove. Varying up the metal genre, they were gaining much attention among their peers. By far one of the first bands on the east coast ever to introduce hip-hop into the metal/hardcore scene. Jakob D. with his hard hitting lyrics, and introducing turntablist Markie B. into the band, they were gaining much notice in their local scene. Creating such songs as “Glowbox” and “Uagain”, Champy and Ryan’s innovative guitar styles were putting them in a status all their own. Later bringing in their astounding drummer Swifty, and bass prodigy Lucas. Eastcide has formed into a force to be reckoned with.

Over 20,000 people caught Eastcide at Locobazooka “99” in Worcester, MA. Playing with such acts as Slipknot, Primus, Static-X, Staind, Coal Chamber as well as many other national and local acts. Eastcide’s performance blew the crowd away; they were a sure crowd pleaser for fans new and old. Receiving rave reviews from local reporters and radio stations. Eastcide definitely proved their popularity in their local scene.

Now with their latest effort Timeli(n)e, Eastcide is creating music with such power, that of like they would have never dreamed. Their musical structure keeps on growing as time goes on, better and better for sure. With such songs as “Bucolic” and “Grow High” the band is showing a whole new face to their music.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:46 pm

A couple more...

From Zero
Nu Metal
Album streamable:
http://www.last.fm/music/From+Zero/One+Nation+Under

Music video:
http://www.last.fm/music/From+Zero/One+Nation+Under

From wikipedia:
Quote :
Formed in 1998, From Zero's music is distinguished from many earlier nu metal groups with its greater focus on vocal harmonies, and correspondingly fewer elements of hip-hop than groups such as Limp Bizkit.
In 1999, the band independently released their self titled EP (referred to as "The Green Album"). At this time, they were also opening for bands such as Amen, Disturbed, Nickelback and Nothingface.
They later signed with Arista Records, where they released two major label albums in One Nation Under (which features many re-recorded songs from their self titled album) (2001) and My So-Called Life (2003). They had two music videos which are for their songs "Check Ya" and "Smack", both of which can be viewed over on You Tube. Before the recording of My So-Called Life, bassist Rob Ruccia left the band to do production work on other bands, leaving vocalist Jett to record the bass for the album. They later recruited Avi Kopernik to play bass for the group's live shows.
After being dropped by Arista less than a month after the release of My So-Called Life, they went to work preparing for their third album. As time went on, writing music became a chore and Jett with nothing to fall back on, needed to concentrate on a day job to support his family. Joe Pettinato, who already had a construction business, then left the band, and the rest of the group called it quits. Two songs from the intended album, "Middle of the Road" and "My Own Destiny", can still be streamed on their official PureVolume page.
Although they did not gain widespread popularity within the music community as a whole, they are well recognized both in the Chicago area and among nu metal fans.
The band was promoted by the Real World: New York residents while the cast was working for Arista.
In late 2007, it was revealed that Jett (vocals), Pete Capizzi (guitars), and Joe "Bod" Pettinato (guitars) have reunited to form a new band called Diem. The band also includes Keith Daily on bass and backup vocals, and Pete Capizzi, instead of playing guitar, is playing drums for the band. They have some songs in the writing and recording stages, and plan to have something posted on their MySpace page, www.myspace.com/diemmusic, in early 2008.

o Diem update** 5/23/08
Jett has left Diem and was replaced by Crash Anthem (formerly Skywind) singer Wally J. New songs featuring the singer will be posted on the band's MySpace page very soon.
Pete Capizzi now plays in a local Blues band, The Southsiders, on the drums. (2009).
Keith Dailey is now playing guitar for a band called Seven, from Bloomington, Illinois. 7band.com (2009)

S.O.A
Hardcore punk
No Policy EP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhjWDd7MO-c

From wikipedia:
Quote :
State of Alert were fronted by Henry Garfield, who would later rise to fame as Henry Rollins. They formed in October 1980 and disbanded in July 1981. They released a ten song 7" EP titled No Policy and contributed three songs to the compilation Flex Your Head, both on Dischord Records. The EP was financed by Henry since Dischord wanted to afford releasing the first Minor Threat 7" as well.
S.O.A. played a total of 12 gigs in and around the eastern US, their first on December 6, 1980, in Washington, D.C., and their last on July 10, 1981, in Philadelphia. Henry Rollins later described their performances: "All of them were eleven to fourteen minutes in duration because the songs were all like forty seconds... and the rest of the time we were going, 'Are you ready? Are you ready?' Those gigs were poorly played songs in between 'Are you readys?"[1]
Today, S.O.A. is remembered primarily as Rollins' first band - before he joined Black Flag and then founded Rollins Band - but also as an example of early "DC Hardcore" and an influence to other bands such as Detroit's Negative Approach and New York City's Agnostic Front.
Out of what was left of the band guitarist Michael Hampton went on to form The Faith in 1981 with Alec MacKaye (brother of Ian MacKaye, later in Ignition) who joined on vocals and Ivor Hansen, S.O.A.'s final drummer. Later Hampton went on to Embrace with Ian MacKaye in 1985, and One Last Wish with Guy Picciotto (Fugazi, Rites of Spring) and Brendan Canty (Deadline, Fugazi, Rites of Spring).
Bass player Wendel Blow went on to play in Iron Cross and Lethal Intent.
State of Alert's recorded material has been re-released by Dischord on the 20 Years of Dischord compilation and the Dischord 1981: The Year in 7"s compilation which includes the entire 'No Policy' EP.

Egg Hunt
Post-Hardcore
Me & You EP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAGTIqm9tzw
From lastFM:
Quote :
In the spring of 1986 Dischord founders Ian MacKaye and Jeff Nelson (both formerly of Minor Threat) went to England to visit, and were invited by Southern Records founder John Loader to do some recording while they were there. Southern was operated out of a row house in a neighborhood called Wood Green, and John had a 24-track studio set up in the garage. They recorded four songs, including “Me and You”, something that the two had been playing together in the basement for many years, and “We All Fall Down”, which was written by Ian for Embrace, but had been passed on by the band. Having had such a good time recording and hanging out in London, Ian and Jeff decided to release a single to mark the occasion. The name was chosen since it was recorded over Easter weekend. That summer they tried forming a new band called Egg Hunt with ex-members of Gray Matter, but it wasn’t meant to be. The Southern session would turn out to be the last time the two would record music together.

Necros
Hardcore Punk
IQ31 EP – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7AlcH9uFiU&feature=related

From lastFM:
Quote :
The Necros was formed in 1979 in Maumee, Ohio. They were a punk band made up of high school kids playing fast, furious, short songs of the sort that were eventually dubbed “hardcore” by the media a couple years later. In 1980, the Necros recorded a demo, and in early 1981, Tesco Vee and Dave Stimson (of Touch and Go fanzine) fronted the money to release 4 of those songs as a 7” record (commonly known as the Sex Drive 7”). This 7” became the first release on Touch and Go Records.

The Necros spent many weekends in 1980 and 1981 playing shows in Detroit and Lansing, Michigan, opening for such bands as Black Flag and DOA, and playing shows with other Michigan area bands like Negative Approach, The Meatmen, and Bored Youth.

In the fall of 1981, the Necros released a nine song 7” EP (commonly known as the IQ32 EP) that was a co-release between Touch and Go Records and Dischord Records.

Also in 1981 and 1982, the Necros were spending time traveling to Washington, DC to play shows with many of the early DC punk bands with whom they had become friends (ie: Minor Threat, Youth Brigade, Government Issue, etc…). And there were also shows in New York with bands like the Circle Jerks and the Misfits.

1982 was a productive year for the Necros as they played shows in many parts of the country, including a national tour opening for the Misfits. While on that tour, the Necros started recording new material at a studio in Los Angeles, with Spot (producer of many albums by Black Flag, the Minutemen, the Meat Puppets, etc…) at the controls.

1983 saw the release of a new single followed by a full length album, both titled Conquest For Death. The album included some of the recordings from the Spot sessions, as well as some recordings made in Detroit. It included a fold-out poster insert, and was the second full length album on Touch and Go Records. Conquest For Death was the last record the Necros were to release on Touch and Go. Subsequent to its release, Corey Rusk left the band to focus his attentions solely on running Touch and Go Records. The Necros found a replacement bass player and went on to release a few more records on other labels.

Mob 47
Crust punk – Hardcore punk
Kärnvapen EP- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2tetuJBtVk&feature=related

From lastFM:
Quote :
Mob 47 is a hardcore punk/d-beat band that formed in Sweden in the summer of 1982, originally under the name Censur. In 1983, the band members changed the name to what it’s now called: Mob 47. During their early years, they played with the legendary band Anti Cimex. They were influenced by bands such as Discharge, Crucifix, D.R.I., and B.G.K.. They appeared on Pushead’s classic 1985 hardcore compilation Cleanse the Bacteria. Most of their original material now can be found through bootleg eBay sellers and P2P servers. Bootlegs and their demo tapes are also floating around at various distros.

Guitarist and founding member, Åke formed several other bands after and around the time of Mob 47. The bands Agoni, Röjers, Discard, Crudity, and Protes Bengt were featured with Mob 47 on the “Stockholm’s Mangel” compilation in 1985. Some with other members of Mob 47, mostly the drummer Chrille. Per, vocalist of contemporary Swedish outfit Bruce Banner, is noted for singing in a number of these bands. Åke has continued to play and released a new Mob 47 demo playing solo with a drum machine in 1998.

In 2003 Speedstate Records in Japan released a 2-CD official discography. In 2005 the band began to rehearse again. They did their first official gig in 20 years at Debaser in Stockholm on 25 May 2006 and are currently working on new material which was released in 2008. as Dom Ljungen Ingen on Communichaos Media.

Ultraspank
Nu Metal

Both albums streamable:
http://www.last.fm/music/Ultraspank/Ultraspank
http://www.last.fm/music/Ultraspank/Progress

Music video, from video game 3 Xtreme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdyKzHfUOJY&feature=related

From wikipedia/lastFM:
Quote :
Ultraspank was a nu metal band in the 1990s and early 2000s. Their original name was Spank, but due to legal reasons they were forced to change it. During an interview with Rob Zombie, Zombie suggested they should call themselves "Ultra" Spank. This is noted in the liner notes of their self titled debut.
Their second album, "Progress" came out in 2000, and didn't sell very well due to a lack of promotion. After being dropped by their record label, they split up, and guitarist Neil Godfrey joined downthesun to record their self-titled debut album. Before the album's release, Godfrey exited downthesun and joined Motograter for a brief period before starting Lo-Pro with former vocalist Pete Murray (not to be confused with Australian singer Pete Murray). Recently, it was announced by Neil Godfrey that the band is going return and write new material.

40 Below Summer
Nu Metal
Streamable album:
http://www.last.fm/music/40+Below+Summer/Invitation+to+the+Dance

http://www.myspace.com/40belowsummer

From lastFM:
Quote :
40 Below Summer was a five-piece nu metal music group from New Jersey, USA. They were active from 1998-2005, before going on an indefinite hiatus in 2006.

Formed in 1998, 40 Below Summer came together after drummer and Peruvian native Carlos Aguilar met with singer Max Illidge. Joey D’Amico later joined the duet, followed by Jordan Plingos and Puerto Rican-born Hector Graziani. Their first album Side Show Freaks (1999) and EP Rain (2000) were self released.

Eventually, a deal was signed with London-Sire Records. Their debut major label album Invitation to the Dance was released on October 16, 2001, and was produced by GGGarth. Two months after its release, London-Sire went out of business due to a corporate merger. The album was subsequently re-issued through Warner Music.

After performing on the Jägermeister Music Tour with Drowning Pool, Coal Chamber and Ill Niño, and then again with Slipknot, Fear Factory, and Chimaira, but only on select dates. They started to write material for their second album. While the band started writing almost immediately after the release of their previous album, they threw out some fifteen songs before coming up with twenty one that they reduced down to the final ten (plus a bonus track, “The Day I Died”).

Unsigned at this point, Razor & Tie Records saw the band in February 2003 when they played in New York with E.Town Concrete. A deal was signed in June just as the band entered the studio. The band would later strike a licensing deal with Roadrunner Records for the album’s UK release.

Their second album The Mourning After was released on October 28, 2003. Two singles were released from the album in “Self-Medicate” and “Taxi Cab Confession”. The video for the former received a fair amount of airplay on MTV2’s Headbanger’s Ball. The band negotiated a release from their contract in 2004. Not long after this Jordan was temporarily replaced by Ty Fury. The band then recruited Ryan Juhrs (formerly of Flaw) to fill the spot officially and Carlos left soon after.

Ali Nassar replaced Carlos, and after playing two shows under the 40 Below Summer moniker, they decided to rename the project Black Market Hero. They were soon joined by another former member of Flaw, drummer Micah Havertape, who replaced Nasser. In January 2006, Graziani was forced to leave the band due to severe hearing loss he had suffered after years of performing. Former Confliction bassist Matt Fortin joined in August 2006. Black Market Hero’s first single, “Freedom Dealer,” was released in summer 2007.

Despite breaking up, 40 Below Summer released The Last Dance on October 31, 2006 via Crash Music Inc. The album features nine demo versions of songs intended for their third LP, as well as a bonus DVD featuring footage of the band’s “last” performance at the Starland Ballroom (September 2005). The album sold 1,095 copies during its first week of release, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

In October 2006, there was speculation that the band had reunited. This was later dismissed by guitarist Joey D’Amico who stated that the band was just going to do a few shows to promote the release of The Last Dance. However, D’Amico also stated that there was a possibility that 40 Below Summer would record a new album in the future.

The band filmed a music video for the single “Relapse” with director Michael Saladino. The song was originally written by 2005 guitarist Ty Fyhrie (Fury). Ty Fyhrie also played the 2nd guitar parts on “The Last Dance.” Ty went on to work with the band Murder Of Crows but now resides in the band Dirty Little Rabbits with Slipknot percussionist M. Shawn Crahan also known as Clown.

In a radio interview with All Knowing Force, Illidge stated that he expected 40 Below Summer would tour and play 5-10 shows a year. Although his main priority is with his new project Black Market Hero, he didn’t rule out the possibility of the band one day recording another album.

The band has re-issued their independently released EP Rain with seven bonus tracks on July 31, 2007 via Crash Music. In addition to the five songs originally released, seven demo tracks have also been included, as well as all new cover artwork.

Sideshow Freaks was re-released on July 15, 2008 by ex-Korn guitarist Brian “Head” Welch’s record label Driven Music Group.
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:36 pm

Cool that you took the time to make it all uniformed and shit, but the music sucks.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:43 pm

CnC6 wrote:
Cool that you took the time to make it all uniformed and shit, but the music sucks.

As you once said...

Quote :
Shut the fuck up.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 pm

Ha! I knew of Ultraspank before!

But yeah I don't like any of that stuff.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:46 pm

roughdraft_zero wrote:
Ha! I knew of Ultraspank before!

But yeah I don't like any of that stuff.

I can respect a response, in this matter. It's not for everyone.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:49 am

I like some of the stuff. Not a major fan of most of the stuff but I can listen to it occasionally.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:52 am

I dun have time to listen at the moment... so I'll get back to it. I'll list the ones I have heard, though.

Orange 9mm
From Zero
Ultraspank
40 Below Summer

Though, I've heard about Boiler because you mentioned them somewhere.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title: Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:58 am

I've heard 40 below summer too. I own the Mourning After. DLed their other albums because they broke up.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:59 am

Oh shit I didn't notice S.O.A. was in there the first time I skimmed it...I fucking hate Henry Rollins with a passion, though.

I tried some of the punk you listed, cuz I actually like punk a lot, but didn't think many were too great. Mob47 and Necros are passable, but I've seen and heard better $2-cover coffee shop punk bands.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:40 pm

Some more, for whoever may be interested.

Flybanger
Nu Metal
Headtrip to Nowhere, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Flybanger/Headtrip+to+Nowhere

Outlived, somehwat streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Flybanger/Outlived

http://www.myspace.com/flybangerfan (fan page)

From wikipedia:
Quote :
Flybanger were a Canadian metal band. Once known as Jar, they released 2 CDs under that name before releasing a 5 track EP titled "Outlived" as well as their major label debut "Headtrip To Nowhere" as Flybanger through Sony Music in 2001. The band has since broken up. The singles released from "Headtrip To Nowhere" were "Cavalry", "Radical" And "Blind World". "Blind World" was also featured on the soundtrack for the major motion picture Dracula 2000 alongside other major acts like gay, Disturbed, Pantera, Slayer & System Of A Down.
In 2005, band members Rob Wade (Drums) and Garth Allen (Vocals) joined Kill Rhythm, a band started by Rob Thiessen formerly of Noise Therapy.
In March 2009, following the breakup of Kill Rhythm[1], both Rob Wade and Garth Allen turned their focus to the Heavy Acoustic Rock project Thick Of It

---------------------

Milkweed
Other - Nu Metal - Rapcore

Milkweed, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Milkweed/Milkweed

Straight From the Udder, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Milkweed/Straight+From+The+Udder

Cry, Lonesome, & High, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Milkweed/Cry%252C%2BLonesome%2B%2526%2BHigh

Further To Fall, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Milkweed/Further+To+Fall

From lastFm:
Quote :
Milkweed is an Ohio based band, with its main fanbase located in Cincinnati and surounding areas. The band’s unique sound is a collage of multiple musical styles, yet always remains heavy at the core. With jazz, techno, and hip-hop influences, Milkweed manages to achieve an addictive interplay of melody and groove (and sometimes utter discord) that makes even the most unsympathetic listener interested to say the least. For those that enjoy a good fuck in the ear, Milkweed is definitely the band for you. Milkweed’s music will beat you, rape you, then gently caress you before it dismembers your seasoned sonic substructure and replaces it with such savory chaos. Milkweed’s eclectic musical conglomeration is perfectly complimented with an incredibly aggressive vocal overtone mixed with just the right touch of humor that truly pries open your eyes to the miserable world around you and then forces you to laugh and forget about it.

While based in Cincinnati, the band has spent the past 5 years focused on touring up and down the Midwest and East Coast, from Illinois to Florida to New York, and everywhere in between. During this time, Milkweed has opened for multiple major label acts, including bands such as PM5K, Hed P.E., Bobaflex,Tek N9ne, Mushroomhead, 40 Grit, OPM, Flaw, Five Bolt Main, Vampire Moose, Stemm, Foxy Shazam, Rock N Roll Soldiers, Straight Line Stitch, Beneath The Sky, and more. The band is entirely self-sustaining, responsible exclusively for all promotions, booking, recording, etc.
---------------

Flaw
Nu Metal – Alternative Metal

Through the Eyes, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Flaw/Through+the+Eyes

Endangered Species, fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Flaw/Endangered+Species
http://www.myspace.com/flaw

From lastFM:
Quote :
The core members of Flaw formed together in January of 2000. After getting attention and going #1 on garageband.com with their debut E.P. (Drama), which brought the band major label interest, the band went on to CBGB’S in Oct of the same year and showcased for several major labels. Avery Lipman with Republic / Universal invited the band to the record label the very next day and offered Flaw a major record deal, in which the band signed live on the radio the following month.

In April 2001 Flaw went off to record their first major label debut at Sound City Studios in Van Nuys, California with world renowned producer David Bottrill (Tool, Mudvayne). After the band mixed the tracks at North Larabee Studio in Hollywood, Flaw embarked on several major tours including Mudvayne, Cold, Sevendust, Kitty, Coal Chamber, Ozzfest 2002, a European tour, two headlining tours, and a series of festivals and radio shows. The band then grabbed the number one spot on the Billboards Heat Seeker charts.

Flaw was selling 11,000 records a week with around 350,000 total U.S. sales and 87,000 European sales within the first year. With great honor Flaw was featured on the cover of “The Album Network” magazine November issue. In April 2004 Flaw released their second album Endangered Species with David Bottrill at the helm once again. “Endangered Species” went on to sell 27,562 copies in the first week, but the total sales of 155,000 did not meet the labels expectations and Flaw was dropped. Soon after the members of Flaw went on to pursue different directions in their lives for approximately two years before deciding to reunite in January 2007 due to their ever loyal fan base and the bands raw love for their music and performing.

Flaw decided to tour from March ‘07 with a welcomed sold out home town show through to September 29, ‘07 to give their ever growing fan base and all those who missed their live performances a taste from their first two C.D. releases. Currently Flaw is now recording their long anticipated presently untitled third album, planning to release early 2008. Flaw intends to reach millions of people around the world with the digital era and the bands undeniable sound and chemistry. Flaw decided to share some of their previously unreleased tracks from 2003 and 2004 with their most recent campaign through Zoomoozik Records, the worlds first major digital record label. With Flaws proven past and relentless fans 2008 will surely be a busy and successful year.

In December 2008 a MySpace bulletin was posted by Flaw stating that all future concert dates had been canceled due to conflicts between Chris Volz and current members of the band. A short time later, it was announced that Jimmie Stallings would be the band’s new bassist.

On April 29th, 2009, the band posted a blog on ‘their’ myspace stating that Chris Volz had been kicked out of the band for excessive drinking, being drunk while performing, and for hitting his ex-girlfriend, as well as his current girlfriend. They are currently looking for a new vocalist.

Chris Volz’s MySpace states that he is fronting Flaw with Arny and Jurhs, two original members, as well as Andy Russ, who filled in for Daunt on numerous occassions during the reunion tour.

Not to be left out, original drummer Chris Ballinger has come out and stated that while he supports Chris Volz being removed of his duties, he is not happy with the current situation involving Jason Daunt claiming rights to the band’s name, which he states belongs to Ryan Jurhs, Lance Arny, Chris Volz, and himself. Ballinger also wishes to reclaim his spot as Flaw’s drummer. These statements were made in late May, just after Daunt and his band members revealed on the Flaw myspace that they would NOT be using the name Flaw after they find a new vocalist.

On June 26th and 27th FLAW played 2 shows (one in Warren, MI and another in Lima, OH. The lineup consisted of Arny, Jurhs, Volz, Russ and Rued… this will be the lineup (at least tentatively) for the forthcoming record in which the band is currently working on.
------------------

Boy Hits Car
Nu Metal
Boy Hits Car (self-titled), fully streamable: http://www.last.fm/music/Boy+Hits+Car/Boy+Hits+Car

http://www.myspace.com/boyhitscar

From lastFM:
Quote :
Boy Hits Car is a four piece American rock band from Los Angeles, California. The band was formed in 1993. After releasing their first album, My Animal, independently in 1998, they went on the Sno-Core tour and recorded their next album, Boy Hits Car, on Wind-up Records. A third album was self released in 2005 called The Passage. In 2006 the band re-released the album in July after signing with Rock Ridge Music as their Distributor.

Boy Hits Car plays modern aggressive hard rock with noted Eastern influences, their live performances occasionally including ethnic instruments. This blending of music combined with the lyrics—which mainly are about angst and tribulations—creates a unique sound, the so called “LoveCore” sound of Boy Hits Car.

The band now exist out of these members:
* Cregg Rondell - vocals, twelve string guitar
* Bill Gower - bass guitar
* Dusty Hunt - guitar
* Johnny Ransom - drums
-----------------

Factory 81
Nu Metal

http://www.myspace.com/fac81 (fan page)

From lastFM:
Quote :
Factory 81 was a Nu-Metal Band 1997-2001
Upon their formation in 1997, the members of Factory 81 wanted to create a sound of stomp-paced metal in their hometown of Detroit, MI. Individually consisting of Andy

Cyrulnik (drums), Kevin Lewis (bass), Bill Schultz (guitar), and Nathan Wallace (vocals), the quartet furthered its heaviness with an undertone of “new school” hardcore that was inspired by the likes of Earth Crisis, Hatebreed, and Strife. This hybrid eventually resulted in the 1999 release of Factory 81’s first album, Mankind, through Medea Records.
-------------------

Teen Idles
Hardcore punk
Minor Disturbance EP - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1GasC80_6U

From wikipedia:
Quote :
The Teen Idles were pioneers of the DC Hardcore scene in the very early ’80s. Their only release was Dischord Records’ first. Ian MacKaye and Jeff Nelson went on to form Minor Threat, one of the most influential bands in all of punk rock and hardcore.The Teen Idles were among the first punk rock groups from the early 1980s hardcore movement to break out of their regional scene to tour and sell nationally. Inspired by other American punk bands like The Cramps, Bad Brains and Black Flag, The Teen Idles’ music was an early version of hardcore punk, and an attempt, in the words of MacKaye, “to get away from a really corrupted music”. Their appearances, lyrics and musical style sought to revive a punk movement that they believed had lost its original zeal.
-------------------

One Day as a Lion
Rapcore

*The project has the very well know Zach De La Rocha, from RATM invoved in it, and it may be more common than I realize. Nobody I ever talk about this particular project seems to be familar with it, though, despite the massive popularity of Zach. Which is what I'm sorta basing this thread more on, it doesn't mean nobody, even peope here hasn't heard of them, per say. Also has ex-Mars Volta member. Haven't release much yet.

http://www.myspace.com/onedayasalion

from lastFM:
Quote :
One Day as a Lion is a collaboration between Rage Against the Machine front-man Zack De La Rocha and former The Mars Volta drummer Jon Theodore. They are an alternative hip-hop / rock duo from Los Angeles, California.

Their first EP, One Day as a Lion was released on 19th July, 2008.

The name of the group is taken from the infamous 1970 black and white photograph captured by legendary Chicano photographer George Rodriguez, featuring a centre framed tag on a white wall in an unspecified section of Boyle Heights. It reads: “It’s better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb.”

Last edited by -Orange9mm- on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:06 pm

Flaw is a pretty Popular band.

They're supposed to be working on something new.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:19 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
Flaw is a pretty Popular band.

They're supposed to be working on something new.

Well I guess it depends on who you ask, bering perception or point of view can play a factor in it. They are along with bands like Dry Kill Logic, Nothingface, Spineshank and Element Eighty some of the more popular, more underground nu metal projects (as opposed to the house hold name nu metal projects). People may have a tendency to know them more, but not as much as other bands, etc. I though have met a good number of people who weren't familar with them, outside of maybe the name. They are working on new material, but the old vocalist Chris Volz, is no longer with the band.
-----------------

Here's a less known Flaw related, project...

Five Bolt Main
Nu Metal

Entire album, Venting, up for streaming: http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.artistalbums&artistid=997985&ap=0&albumid=8706977

http://www.myspace.com/fiveboltmain

From lastFM:
Quote :
Five.Bolt.Main came together after Flaw was dropped from Universal Records in 2004. Chris Volz met with now ex-Five.Bolt.Main members Ivan Arnold and Ben Patrick – whom both were part of Flaw prior to their breakthrough album Through the Eyes (2001). At the time, both Ivan and Ben were in a project called “Silent Q”, which by the time Flaw disbanded, had enough material written to put an album together. Silent Q included guitarists Aaron Welenken and Jason Chandler. At this point Chris joined the band, which was tentatively titled “Vent”, but was later changed to “Five. Bolt.Main” due to legal reasons. Within 7 months the band had scored themselves a record deal with independent label Rock Ridge Music.

Five.Bolt.Main’s debut album Venting was released on September 13, 2005. The band has gone through several line-up changes since its release. Roughly a month after the album was released, members Jason Chandler, Ben Patrick and Aaron Weleken left the group. Rock Ridge Music claimed “musical differences” and “unforeseen rigors of the road” as the reasons for leaving. However, the exiting members cited Chris Volz’s alcohol and drug abuse. Kobie Jackson (Primer 55), Alex Cando (Darwin’s Waiting Room) and Ronny Paige were recruited to fill in, with Alex and Ronny later staying on a permanent basis. To date, the album has sold nearly 25,000 copies which some would consider to be a decent amount due to the lack of exposure the band had.

June 2006 also saw the departure of Ivan Arnold, who left the group to pursue other interests.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:39 pm

I wouldn't consider them Nu Metal, not Endangered Species at least.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
I wouldn't consider them Nu Metal, not Endangered Species at least.

Well, Through the Eyes, in particular, had more of a nu metalish feel, and I feel fit under the genre. Endangered Species could be a bit more debatable. I sort of added the whole Alternative metal part to cover the band's more alternative or rockish tendencies, in mind. Regardless of the genre, I enjoy them all around. Wish Chris Volz would get his drinking problems and personal life sorted out and re-take the reigns of the band, again.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:17 pm

My friend who's heard Through The Eyes says only that one single is as song that sounds like nu metal on there.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:28 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
My friend who's heard Through The Eyes says only that one single is as song that sounds like nu metal on there.

Well perception and perhaps how one defines nu metal can play a part into it how one classfies it. The album is avaible for streaming (which I included a link to above) if you wish to make a judgment on it. It though is in my opinion that the album has more nu-metalish qualities, and I'd classfiy it under the term.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:38 pm

You're just a nu-metal fanboy who wishes to have anything labeled nu-metal so he can be a nu-metal purist.
Back to top Go down
RespawnedDemon

Title: J-Silky Smooth

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:41 pm

The only one of those bands I've listened to is Orange 9mm.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:44 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
You're just a nu-metal fanboy who wishes to have anything labeled nu-metal so he can be a nu-metal purist.

Nu metal fanboy, I am. I though am not a purist, I really don't care if one considers Flaw nu metal or not. By all means don't use the term, if you don't think it applies. I don't consider what most of Deftones (outside of earlier work) does to be technical nu metal, even though they are often labeled nu metal, and they are my favorite band. Just go listen to your j-pop or something.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:54 pm

I don't agree with the Deftones Nu-Metal label either. I've had said discussion with LoXXorz about this.

And maybe I will listen to J-Pop maybe I won't. I don't see how that's insulting though.
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
I don't agree with the Deftones Nu-Metal label either. I've had said discussion with LoXXorz about this.

And maybe I will listen to J-Pop maybe I won't. I don't see how that's insulting though.

Well the j-pop comment was supposed to be more humorous, than insulting. I listen to some j-pop, and I can really enjoy it in the right mood. I guess my point was if you have a problem with my thread, you don't have to post in it. But hey I have no real problem with you or anything you listen to as of yet. Even if I did, I really wouldn't care. Razz
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:10 pm

Hey without me no one would be posting in this thread. Tongue

I'm surpised green shoes hasn't posted in here yet, this music is right up his alley. Wink
Back to top Go down
-Orange9mm-

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:19 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
Hey without me no one would be posting in this thread. Tongue

I'm surpised green shoes hasn't posted in here yet, this music is right up his alley. Wink

Well, turns out, he did actually post Razz ...

Green_shoes wrote:
I like some of the stuff. Not a major fan of most of the stuff but I can listen to it occasionally.

Maybe Lox and Greeny will check more of the stuff out, later. I'm sure that maybe every once and awhile there'll be a band you and I could argue over being nu metal or not nu metal too. Other than that I guess the thread is pretty pointless, hehe, but I guess I'll just keep on with it. I'll also try to keep more of a variety of stuff not just all nu metal or rapcore.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Character sheet
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....   Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:41 pm

I skimmed for him and didn't find him. Frustrated
Back to top Go down

Bands I like, that nobody else has ever heard about....

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Dark Academy ::  :: -