The Dark Academy
Welcome to the Dark Academy.

Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.   Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:31 am

I'm not talking about the people who actually know what's up, music freaks like many of us are. I'm talking about people who only casually listen to music and retrieve it from places like the radio, MTV and Napster/KaZaa. They make fun of these bands because they are "one-hit wonders" whose hits were off-kilter or strange, or tragically suffered from overplay and severe aging. Bands and songs such as:

Dinosaur Jr. and "Feel the Pain"

The B-52s and "Love Shack"

Crash Test Dummies and "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm"

Devo and "Whip It"

Joan Osborne and "One of Us"

Blind Melon and "No Rain"

The Flaming Lips and "She Don't Use Jelly"

Q Lazzarus and "Goodbye Horses" (this one's a little different, because as far as I can tell there was never a proper album, if even another song besides this one ever recorded. But still, this song is generally laughed at because of the context from which it draws. But for real, you're fucking stupid if you don't recognize that this is a legitimately fantastic song).

Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.   Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:33 am

I think the general public thing all of those are good songs. Who doesn't like whip it?
I've never even heard that Flaming Lips song and Goodbye Horses is awesome.
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.   Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:41 am

What are you kidding? "Whip It" is probably considered to be--forgive me for using VH1 nomenclature--one of the most "awesomely bad" songs of all time. When it comes on at a disco or a party it's laughed at, but still played in full and continually danced to. People think it's stupid, and know nothing else about the band.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: Re: Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.   Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:46 am

It's not going along with what you're saying really... because I don't know who to say... but I feel that way about Slipknot.

People always like to make fun of them and either use their image or their singles as an example. If all I had heard were Slipknot's singles, I probably wouldn't like them either.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.   Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:54 am

Keep Slipknot out of my thread, or I will ban you.
Back to top Go down
Green_shoes

Character sheet
Name: Kwee

PostSubject: Re: Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.   Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:59 am

Dinosaur Jr. is good fun.
Back to top Go down
Cghost
VIP

PostSubject: Re: Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.   Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:42 pm

Blind Melon was garbage except for 'No Rain'
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.   Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:43 pm

Cghost wrote:
Blind Melon was garbage except for 'No Rain'

That's what I was thinking. :p
Back to top Go down
IAmHeavenSent

Character sheet
Name: Cuddy

PostSubject: Re: Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.   Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:45 pm

me too. haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.   Today at 4:55 am

Back to top Go down

Bands that are laughed at because they have one song which the general public thinks is stupid/crappy, but are actually really good bands.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1