Surrender To All Life Beyond Form

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

For realio diatribe about rap music

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: For realio diatribe about rap music   Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:15 pm

The term hip-hop as something that need to be made vehemently anomalous to the terms "rap" or "rap music" is ridiculous. Rap and hip-hop are %100 synonymous with each other. One is not made to describe the music, and the other to describe the "culture." "Hip-hop" is only a "culture" so far as urban clothing labels permit it to be. Although, its definitions are perpetuated and allowed to survive as long as they do because of self-conscious, defensive rappers and rap fans trying to legitimize rap as an art form, which is really unnecessary. There is a rap culture, no doubt, but hip-hop is not anything different and it is a ridiculous term.

ALSO

Those said people trying to legitimize rap as an art form usually go about it the wrong way. They should be playing up the music, instruments (when applicable), studio production skills, and vocal talents. Something I see as an argument too often is that rap lyrics are "poetry." But, in most cases, the ones most being defended don't fit the bill of being poetic. I guess these rap fans never paid attention in English class. Poetry is often defined to be undefinable, but something it is most often agreed to not be is a linear arrangement of complete sentences directly outlining a series of events or one's thoughts. That won't even qualify you as free verse. A classical definition of poetry is, "The right word in the right place, in as few words as possible."

I've never made the argument of rapping to be just talking fast (or mumbling slowly in some cases...50 Cent, Mase, Puff Daddy), but there are plenty of times where I've thought that what their lyrics come down to is them just talking. Using "street language" and slang is not inherently poetic. Those are more related to a dialect, which is a style of speech before it is a type of poetic diction. There are definitely poetic rappers out there, but being poetic (i.e., abstract and esoteric) is also not a mainline to being good or exempt from critique.

Rap is the same as most any other music genre. It is indeed an art form, it does require talent, and there are only two kinds: the good kind and the bad kind.

Last edited by roughdraft_zero on Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: For realio diatribe about rap music   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:23 pm

I think I'm the only rap/Hip-hop fan at this board. That being said I somewhat agree with you. Much like Metal is pretty much a subgenre of rock Hip-Hop is a subgenre of Rap. They are both the same anyway but I never worried about the definitions anyway. I'll like it if it's good.

But yes we did discuss this in a class, it's more than the lyrics it's also the beat. At it's core it is very tribal mostly a beat though a lot of times they add other textures to the beats. I think you'd have to be very jaded to not find one aspect of hip-hop to like. Some people like the beat, some people like the lyrics, some people like both. Just like how some people like the beat of songs that you know have absolutely negative lyrics to them so they are singing some date rape song or song about killing because it's got a great beat to it. Tongue

Anyhow I'm not sure I added anything relevent to this post, just my 2˘
Back to top Go down
roughdraft_zero

PostSubject: Re: For realio diatribe about rap music   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:29 pm

Hollow_Viscus wrote:
I think I'm the only rap/Hip-hop fan at this board.
I'm a huge rap fan. But I generally hate hip-hop; the attitude, and the more popular (pop being the key prefix) artists, including the more popular artists in the supposed "underground" of hip-hop. Basically, rap hasn't genuinely excited and intrigued me since the early 2000s, and I'm not the only one slowly leaving or sticking solely to the classics, and those still in it are butthurt about it and make all kinds of claims that annoy me.
Back to top Go down
Hollow_Viscus
VIP

Title : Blüge

Character sheet
Name: Vitochka Marianenko
Experience Points:

PostSubject: Re: For realio diatribe about rap music   Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:45 pm

Well I meant other than you obviously. You just started posting here yesterday. Tongue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For realio diatribe about rap music   Today at 2:54 pm

Back to top Go down

For realio diatribe about rap music
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1