August Underground

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loxx O)))

Character sheet
Name: Loxxikus
Experience Points: 25/100

PostSubject: August Underground   Fri May 22, 2009 6:27 pm

Well... I just finished watching Mordum for the second time since the snuff edition dvd just came in. Felt like sharing some opinions on the series and maybe interesting some of you into watching them or hearing what you think.

August Underground: It's a good movie. If you get past the minimal plot and the purposeful low budgetness of it all, it's a good watch. Yeah, it's a little extreme for most casual movie goers, but it's a unique and interesting experience. It's definitely the best of the trilogy. The film is little more than a faux snuff movie. The focus on Fred's character is wonderful and it's one of the reasons why it's the best in the series. There are no complications or development needed for other characters. It's all about Fred Vogel and it's seemingly random and coming out of nowhere. The other films try to establish certain elements in the story such as a love triangle or the down fall of two people seemingly on the top of their game. None of that here. Just a sheer gruesome look at reality.

August Underground's Mordum: This is honestly one of the sickest and most depraved things ever commited to film. Mordum was my first experience with AU and I was a bit underwhelmed. After seeing the entire series, though, my opinion on it has changed. This is just fucked up. It cannot possibly get sicker than this. In AU and Penance, the characters have some type of construct. They have a way of thinking and it's a bit methodical. Here, none of that is present. And it's mainly because of Christie and Maggot. They are absolutely fucking insane. They have no rhyme or reason. They rape, torture, and kill simply out of chaos and joy. Any moment can turn into something sinister with their characters. Fred Vogel's character in the films is a very cool and focused killer, he is a real driving force in the other films but here he is definitely down-played and that really shows. Mordum is unlike the other two films and is just... Words just can't describe it. Mordum is a film horror fans definitely need to watch, but due to my personal experience I'd say it's best viewed in the context of the series.

August Underground's Penance: The supposed final chapter of the series. It's all good fun. There is more of a focus on the plotting of the characters through small vignettes that take up most of the screen time. It really develops the characters and gives you a sense of who they are and why they do what they do. The gore here is the best in the series as, for the most part, it's real. No, there are no murders here... but the guts used here are from real animals and it shows. The film is powerful and gives a real feeling of depression because of scenes like the Christmas intrusion and the final moments with the dead fetus mixed with the confrontation of Fred and Christie's characters. The movie gets a lot of hate and is generally considered the worst of the series, but I'm a big fan of this film. It's a more ambitious August Underground so it makes for something that is once again unique and interesting.

All in all, I've really grown to love this series. The first an last entries are very similar and are my favorites. I can't say I particularly like Mordum, but I respect Toe Tag and the film itself for what it does and says. After really thinking about these movies and what they mean, this is the end of the line. I know people see August Underground and think of it as overhyped because of the reputation that precedes it... I was even one of those people that couldn't help but call the series overhyped. Now, after seeing all of the films basically back to back like this, I get it. I haven't had years to look back on it and think 'Oh, it wasn't really that bad.' Just after taking it all in so close together I see the gruesome nature of it. I see the desolation. I see the horror of it. Every bit of hype this movie gets is warranted... and watching it now like I have, I cannot call it over hyped. It really gets to you. In short bursts it's only just another film... but if you let it consume you for too long, it starts to make a real impression and get under skin. Thank you Fred Vogel. You have created a masterpiece in your own right.

Surrender to all Life Beyond Form
Lance of Longinus on Bandcamp
Noise Redemption Prophecy on Bandcamp
Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
http://lanceoflonginus.bandcamp.com
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: August Underground   Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:56 am

I've watched two of them, and honestly, hated them. Poorly done, no direction, tasteless and vile for the sake of being tasteless and vile. Though, I can ultimately respect what films like these do for cinema.

If the violence was used for more than just shock factor, say a medium for violent social pandemicity, then I could respect it and even possibly enjoy it. Otherwise it's just more pseudo-snuff crap.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: August Underground   Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:00 am

Which ones did you see?

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: August Underground   Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:03 am

Mordum and Penance.
Back to top Go down
Loxx O)))

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: August Underground   Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:18 am

Ah, they're definitely weak compared to the original. With those movies they knew they had a reputation and were trying to put on a show and be extreme. The original just seems genuine and makes a decent film. It's hard for me to sit through Mordum in one sitting. Penance draws out scenes and I find myself falling to sleep sometimes. The original, though. I can pop that baby in and enjoy it the whole way through. If nothing else, give a view just to say you saw the whole trilogy. Best case scenerio, you found a decent hour and a half.

Backloggery Profile
Back to top Go down
CnC6

PostSubject: Re: August Underground   Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:55 pm

I'll give it a shot, but only because you said so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: August Underground   Today at 12:04 am

Back to top Go down

August Underground
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1